A review by madmaud77
Mirrorland, by Carole Johnstone

I received this book as a GoodReads Giveaway winner!

I was really excited to read this book, and it didn't disappoint for the first half or so. I don't know if it's totally a spoiler, but
SpoilerI just found the second half a bit too twisty and outside the realm of plausability. I suppose it's meant to be very "stranger than fiction", but when the entire story is a fiction about someone's lifelong fictions and finding her way out of them... to a very fantastical reality... It fell a bit flat. There just seemed to be too many twists right at the end. I was almost waiting for the epilogue-epilogue to reveal a fifth? Sixth? twist of the end being yet another fiction. I don't know whether that would have been better or not--it would make the entire story more credulous, but also... I was already over the whole twist-in-a-twist Turducken.

But! I loved the descriptive language, the moody atmosphere, the pacing, and it was overall a very compelling read in the thriller genre. I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes their mystery/thrillers served with a generous garnish of red herring or side of Turducken.