A review by readem_andweep
A Court of Frost and Starlight, by Sarah J. Maas

slow-paced

The novel takes place shortly after the events of book 3. Though the war is over, our characters’ troubles are not. The peace they hold is tenuous at best, but with the Solstice approaching, everyone decides to come together for the holiday. The novel is told from everyone’s alternating POV chapters, which is different from the rest of the books in the series thus far. The story has mainly comprised of Feyre’s narrative with one or two Rhys POV chapters here and there, so it was interesting to see through others’ eyes and get into their heads.

However, I would have made this novel about 100 pages shorter than it was. I understand Maas wanted to bridge books 3 and 4 in a more seamless way than just going from ACOWAR (from Feyre’s perspective) to ACOSF (from Nesta’s POV), but wow did I hate it. The first half is so incredibly boring. Not much happens—lots of inner monologue. The end half gets better, once everyone starts interacting and exchanging gifts and such. But again, the whole thing just felt kind of unnecessary. I didn’t learn anything new or care about what was going on.

Perhaps the worst part of this little story is what Maas did to Rhys. We get a lot of Feyre and Rhys interactions from both their POVs, and basically they reduced Rhys to a single mood: horny. Horny horny horny horny . Thinking about Feyre’s body and having sex with her 24/7. Constantly thinking it and talking about it. Like ????? I started to see this in the third book, and now it’s just unbearable. I’m glad the next book doesn’t focus on him and Feyre because Maas ruined his character. I couldn’t stand him. And don’t get me started on that sex scene… Literally what was that… No no no no no .

I sincerely hope ACOSF is better written and edited because book 3 and this novel are threatening to ruin this entire series for me. Like, way to take a great start, amp it up into something incredible, then tear it all up and throw it away. What happened? What is Maas doing?? If ACOSF isn’t better than this, I may have to call it quits.