A review by osomo
House of Salt and Sorrows, by Erin A. Craig

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

At first, I thought it would be a 4 star book. I loved the atmosphere, the dark House Greyjoy vibes. The mystery seemed intriguing, plus, it was cool to see a 12 princesses retelling.
However, somewhere around the middle of the book it became apparent that so many things in the book were unnecessary distractions from the main storyline. The main character seemingly forgot about the mystery she was determined to solved.
Moreover, in the end, so many things did not end up connecting. Instead of getting the whole picture, we got new information that only partially explained the mystery, it felt rather anti-climatic and underwhelming. Some conflicts/obstacles/problems were raised throughout the story and never reached their peak or got resolved.
Also, the romance was at times cringe worthy. At first it was tolerable, but as it escalated it became annoying, the way the characters talked or thought about their romance was unrelatable.

Overall, I enjoyed the book for its atmosphere, and I enjoyed most of it for the mystery, but I didn’t enjoy the unnecessary elements, the messiness and the ending.