A review by ednapellen
Colors of Fear, by Hannah Heath

adventurous hopeful fast-paced

I loved Colors of Fear. It was such a beautiful and believable story, from the characters, to the narrative, to the world, to the action scenes, to just about everything.
Heath's narration and descriptions were grounding and intensive, but never over-done, rambly, or boring.

The world building was very real and, as I said for the story as a whole, believable. It never info-dumped and it also didn't leave me in the dark, even without the glossary (which I didn't know was there until later).

I liked Wanderer right away, as well as his relationship with his brother. It only took the first ten pages for me to be sold on Wanderer as a character, and that was due to the way he interacted with and looked out for Twig. And from there, the more the story progressed, the more I empathized and I think understood Wanderer.

Length-wise, this short was perfect, considering this is one part of a bigger story. It definetly has me excited for the other short stories as well as the novel that it is leading to.

If I had to sum up this story in just a couple of words, "engaging" and "believable" would probably be it, and those are both things that I love to see in fantasy.
I very much so recommend this short story, and I'm excited to see where the others in this series take me.