A review by majkf
Dark Places, by Gillian Flynn

I can't help but be totally mesmerized by Gillian Flynn's protagonists. I remember loving Sharp Objects for the cold authenticity of the main character and I'm reminded of the same thing in this book. Libby is not necessarily likable or easy to understand, but I see so much of myself in her. I haven't read very many fictional stories dealing w/ mental illness (specifically PTSD, depression, and suicidal ideation) as accurately as this. And she didn't even really have to mention it outright. Flynn is a master of disturbingly poignant description. The characters are all believably nuanced, though sometimes it does teeter on the edge of being cheesy. Her mystery always keeps me hungry for resolution until the very end. This resolution felt just very slightly rushed and a little too convenient, but it's hard to not feel that way after the fact. I'm quickly becoming obsessed with Flynn's writing, it being a place wherein my own personal damages are often mirrored in a way that feels completely understanding.