A review by yunathealien
The Gilded Ones, by Namina Forna

adventurous dark emotional inspiring slow-paced

I'm in love with this book.
The main character goes through such a big change, from a scared little girl to a brave warrior. I loved and rooted for her so much.  And not just her but also her sisters! They were all different but still all amazing, I can't even say, who's my favorite character.  The relationship between them was greatly written and developed and so heartwarming.
The world is super amazing and totally new. I have to say I'm not sure if the author created all of the creatures herself or if they are heavily inspired by folklore but whatever it is, I loved it.
And the plot? Chef's kiss!

But unfortunately I still have issues :(
Firstly the love interest Keita was pretty bland and had nearly no character. He does have a backstory but even that one is pretty standard and didn't feel originally.
And because of his blandness the whole love story wasn't great. It felt pretty insta lovey and i have no idea what's exactly it that Deka likes about him. It's not explained or explored. And the scenes where they interact and tell us that they get closer to each other could have easily been scratch out and it wouldn't make a big difference. This whole relationship between them did nothing for the plot or any motivation to the main character.

But other then that, I absolutely loved it and I can't wait for the next book!