A review by maggies
The Switch, by Beth O'Leary
adventurous emotional hopeful sad slow-paced
- Plot- or character-driven? Plot
- Strong character development? It's complicated
- Loveable characters? It's complicated
- Diverse cast of characters? No
- Flaws of characters a main focus? It's complicated
I might just be bitter because I had high hopes for this book, but it fell very short compared to The Flatshare, which I found clever and touching and true to life. The Switch, while the premise is promising, felt flat, two-dimensional. I struggled to connect with most of the characters, couldn't get a grip on their personalities and motivations, and ultimately really disliked the moral of the story, which boiled down to
The HEA was as satisfying as I could expect, given all the above.
Spoiler"meddling is good."
Graphic: Grief and Toxic relationship
Moderate: Domestic abuse, Terminal illness, Pregnancy, Panic attacks/disorders, Mental illness, and Infidelity