A review by kait_sixcrowsbooks
Gender Mosaic: Beyond the Myth of the Male and Female Brain, by Luba Vikhanski, Daphna Joel

informative reflective fast-paced

Considering I just finished reading this an hour and a half ago (after starting it 8 hours prior), I'll probably change this review/rating around a little bit, but as it stands right now? It's about a 3 or 3.5. Gender Mosaic isn't necessarily bad, or anything. It's just. Okay? It didn't exactly bring anything new to the table for me (I've studied psychology and GWS for a few years -- have a degree in them -- so that makes sense), but like.

It seemed incredibly cis-focused (trans and non-binary folks get relegated to a single chapter) and honestly? I'm getting tired of books/articles surrounding gender not centering trans and non-binary experiences right from the get-go. Or, when they do mention us, it's only for the section/chapter about us, and we're never mentioned again, or only in passing. For a book all about how gender doesn't determine how one behaves or what their brain looks like, and that we shouldn't enforce a binary, it was pushing a binary pretty heavily when the only time non-cis people were mentioned, it was to say, "Oh! And there's these people who fight against the gender binary, too!"

On top of that, even though they explained sex and gender are different (and even mentioned that sex isn't necessarily a binary either), the authors still...basically conflated the two. And went with the assumption that sex is a binary.

I dunno, it wasn't horrible, but I wasn't too impressed with it. I'll have to think more on it, though, and I may write a review on my blog in the future.