A review by plumpaperbacks
Neon Gods, by Katee Robert

dark emotional tense fast-paced

I DNFed this book back in August 2021 because, while I really liked the characters, I was uncomfortable with the smut and BDSM elements. However, Neon Gods has been in the back of my mind since then, and finally I decided to give it a second chance and just skip the explicit scenes. I really wanted to finish it, and figured it deserved a fair chance.

I didn’t expect to absolutely adore the book, or for it to be my first five-star read of 2022. I didn’t expect to find an adorable couple on the other side of the smut, one that delivered both grumpy/sunshine and obsessed boy, or for Persephone and Hades to completely steal my heart. I certainly didn’t expect the final quarter of the book to be so damn intense and make my emotions skyrocket as I sped through the final chapters even faster than I had the rest of the story.

I found the fraught politics of Olympus both disgusting and fascinating. I don’t entirely understand how Olympus fits into the modern world or where it is, but whatever. I can overlook that.

Also, I’d like to take a moment to say I freaking love Persephone’s sisters. I especially love Callisto and Psyche; I’m very excited for the latter’s book, and lowkey disappointed we’re not getting one for the former. This is absolutely me projecting, but I could see the eldest Dimitriou as an angry lesbian and getting a cute, soft girlfriend. Just saying, Ms. Robert. Just saying…..

So, overall, this book majorly surprised me. I stayed up all night to marathon it in its entirety and don’t regret a single thing. I’m glad Katee Robert has an extensive backlog and several upcoming releases, because I’m now insatiably curious. Although I have a feeling that none of her other books can top this one, because Persephone, Hades and their adorable puppies have stolen my heart. 🖤 (No, “puppies” isn’t a euphemism. It’s not one I’ve heard of, but just clarifying, just in case, hahah.)

Representation
  • queer protagonists (both are attracted to multiple genders)
  • side characters of color