A review by yuna
Magic Bites, by Ilona Andrews
- Plot- or character-driven? A mix
- Strong character development? No
- Loveable characters? It's complicated
- Diverse cast of characters? It's complicated
- Flaws of characters a main focus? Yes
It was ok. Took too long for me to start getting into it, & at the end I'm not sure I like the worldbuilding or the characters enough to continue. For me, Kate's (though really this kind of applies to everyone) sarcasm/sass didn't feel earned/backed up? Considering this was told in 1st POV, I didn't feel like I got more than surface level emotion from her, so it made it hard to feel engaged/understand some of her actions, especially later on when things were pretty serious plot-wise but lacked connection. She was also too situation-selectively badass for me, & not when I'd have liked to see it more.