A review by whatthefawkes
The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein, by Kiersten White

Follow me on the interwebs: Blog + Twitter + Facebook + Instagram

The book was reviewed as part of a blog tour organised by Rockstar Book Tours.

“I have waded through hell to deliver you heaven.”

Written for the 200th anniversary of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, White pens a beautiful and haunting retelling of the horror classic. Told from the perspective of Elizabeth Lorenzo, Victor's childhood friend, and later, wife, we delve into the dark dwellings of the Frankenstein manor and what lies beyond: murder, corruption and scientific experiments.

Elizabeth Lorenzo gains agency in this retelling: crafty, cunning and clever, she stops at nothing to secure her place in the Frankenstein family and in Victor's heart. No longer an object for Victor to own and dominate, Elizabeth Lorenzo fights back in ways that would be far too spoilerish to share. In other words, please gentle readers pick up this delightfully creepy little tale, you will not regret it.

Best read by those familiar with Shelley's tale, White offers an interesting twist on the original material and layers it with plenty of homages ("I will be with you on your wedding night" anyone?).

I absolutely adored this book, especially the final third of it. Kiersten White has such a gift when it comes to writing historical retellings and I will gladly read each and every one of them.