emotional funny hopeful inspiring sad fast-paced
- Plot- or character-driven? A mix
- Strong character development? Yes
- Loveable characters? It's complicated
- Diverse cast of characters? Yes
- Flaws of characters a main focus? No
What are the traditions that we hold dear and nourish us? Which traditions are we holding onto that harm us and others? These are the questions that came up for me as I read this novel with my 12th grade ELA classes. Our discussions included looking critically at traditions of gender roles, sexuality, marriage, food, authority, medicine, history, and racism. Fantastic chisme that my students enjoyed in addition to the deeper themes to consider.