A review by tiffanykarayareads
The Decagon House Murders, by Yukito Ayatsuji

This book follows a group of college students who are all part of the mystery club. The club is for lovers of mystery books and everyone is given a name from a famous author (this is how each character addresses one another in the book). A group of them decide to visit this island where multiple murders took place. They hope to write about it for their upcoming magazine issues. However, one by one they are killed off and no one knows who is doing it. Meanwhile, on the mainland another group of people receive threatening letters, discussing the death of a former classmate. The book plants clues that help you decipher who you believe the killer is. The book is an homage to "And Then There Were None" by Agatha Christie and you can see the clear similarities in the story. I ended up giving this book a 3/5, because I felt very bored with the story. The first murder took a while to build up to and the set up was weak. I also didn't feel emotionally connected to the characters so when they were murdered it fell flat. They aren't given much of a personality. I felt like the ending where everything was revealed was the best part. We got to see the crime through the eyes of the killer and we could see his motive for doing this.