A review by luckykosmos
Bestiary, by K-Ming Chang
- Plot- or character-driven? Character
- Strong character development? It's complicated
- Loveable characters? It's complicated
- Diverse cast of characters? No
- Flaws of characters a main focus? Yes
Complicated thoughts on this one, because the prose is gorgeous, but sometimes it just doesn't hit. I read in reviews the amount of ~bodily fluid~, so I took a step back to see how often it added to the story even if it wasn't necessary. It felt 50/50, and the 50 it didn't add, it just took me out of things so everything felt disjointed. The themes were good, but I think it could have been pared down so the reader could focus on the story and the prose. I do want to read more, because I loved how strange and magical the core of the story was, but I hope that certain elements are reined in.