A review by luminositylibrary
The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde

I had written a long review for this, but then GoodReads ate it when I submitted so here's a small one. I really enjoyed this book. The writing was beautiful: decadent, rich and witty. It balanced the line perfectly between the dark themes of the book and the wonderful imagery. Although this links into the reason I can't give it five stars. In some monologues (namely Lord Henry's), and the chapter that consists of page after page of flowery descriptions of perfume, instruments, tapestries, etc. it dragged on and threatened the pace of the novel. I thought the characters were incredibly interesting, although not particularly relatable. The queer love in it was so overt I was honestly quite surprised, just enough deniability for it to be published at the time. Though I am aware it was incredibly controversial. I guess it didn't really work out well for Oscar Wilde in the end. Lord Henry was a misogynistic, foul man with just enough charm to be convincing to the hottie airheaded Dorian Grey. I found them all fascinating. The plot wasn't complicated, but it was compelling. I wish that Dorian could have been redeemed at the end, although I know he was too far gone. The book isn't perfect, but it is a fun read.