A review by sweetwitches
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, by Taylor Jenkins Reid

emotional reflective sad fast-paced

i have been seeing this book everywhere in the last 2 years so i finally picked it up. i was a little doubtful in the beginning because it never ends well when i try to pick a book that is so loved by the internet, but i'm happy to report that this particular recommendation did end well for me. this book got me out of a reading slump (cheers).

as reading slumps go it was a bit of a slow-read for me at the start, but once i got to celia i couldn't put the book down. i read and watched a bunch of no-spoiler reviews for this book and absolutely nobody told me how painful it was going to be.

Spoilerdid she have to suffer that much? all of that aside, the way taylor jenkins reid describes the incredible love between evelyn and celia was just so beautiful. i'm not sure how to describe it, but it felt so subtle yet so grand at the same time. evelyn's chipped tooth story will just stay with me forever. i had some theories for what the big reveal could be and maybe my mind wasn't creative enough because i would've never guessed it would be that.

more than the mystery of the big secret evelyn was to reveal at the end, it was a close look into different types of profound love and how far people go to save it.