A review by thesebookdelights
City of Shattered Light by Claire Winn

Thank you to NetGalley and North Star Editions for sending me an advanced reader's copy in exchange for my honest review.

Actual rating: 3.75

City of Shattered Light is a Ya fantasy sci-fi following outlaw Riven Hawthorne ad Heiress Asana Almeida. Whilst I didn't like this book as much as I thought I would, I still enjoyed it and it was quite good.

I loved the world building and the world. It was a tiny bit confusing, but not too confusing to the point where I had to stop and think or re-read certain points.

The actual story focused on Asa and Riven. This meant that their characters were well developed. However, because of this, the side characters suffered. They felt very flat and like we didn't know much about them bar the odd info dump. There are most definitely queer characters in this book - the book's synopsis makes it seem like a Sapphic sci-fi romance. However, upon reading I found a love triangle (m/f/f) with very little development of the f/f relationship until about 90% in and more action than romance. That being said, I loved both relationships and the bi-rep. A character I would have loved to see more was Morphett. I feel it would have made the story more exciting as it seemed like she had been forgotten by most of the characters. Maybe if there's another book, Morphett will be in it more alongside more development of the f/f relationship.

One of the characters has a terminal illness and sadly, this felt like it was forgotten about most of the book. It was only really bought up to follow the story. I would have loved to see it addressed more. Maybe it will be addressed in any future books, but for this one, it just wasn't done well.

Structure wise, there were a few inconsistences. It's supposed to be told from the perspectives of Asa and Riven but it was hard to tell when it switched. It's told in third person but I personally think it would have been better if it was told in first person.

All in all, it was a really good book, I just hoped I liked it more. That being said, I will definitely read a sequel