A review by emily_mh
House of Salt and Sorrows, by Erin A. Craig

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

4.25. Right from the beginning I loved the manor-on-an-island setting of this book as it really played in to the spooky atmosphere that Craig created. And I truly LOVED how spooky this book was; I was genuinely nervous to turn my lights out at night and go to sleep. There were a lot more horror elements than I was expecting which I think were really well done but definitely graphic. Given that this book is a standalone, the world-building was impressive and fleshed out. Throughout the book, I was continually surprised and kept on my toes with the various twists and turns.

However, there were definitely some parts of the book that I didn't like. The side characters felt at times one-dimensional. Annaleigh has 11 sisters, and only two of them felt like actual people to me. I thought Fisher could have had more page-time, as well as other characters who became more important at the end. The plot was also a little slow in the first half, compared to the fast pacing in the second half.
SpoilerAnnaleigh and Cassius' romance was insta-love for me and therefore I didn't enjoy it, and I thought it a little ridiculous that they were in love after hanging out a couple of times. Also, it was a little creepy because Cassius had been watching Annaleigh for ages, and I think he's also a lot older than her.
Finally, I didn't LOVE the ending as much as I could have, as
Spoilerit played into the evil stepmother trope, and two of the original four deaths turned out to not be "cursed."