A review by books4days
Gideon the Ninth, by Tamsyn Muir

Okay so... I should have read this sooner but I was waiting for the series to be complete, but Muir now has expanded from a trilogy to a quartet, so I couldn't wait anymore.

WHAT an opening -- this book has a perfect opening chapter, setting up character dynamics and immersing you with no explanation into the world, and setting up many questions. I LOVED the characters in this book (especially Gideon!!) and one thing that just gets me is really strong character emotion and definitely this book is full of that. Also Gideon is hilarious and snarky as well, with some absolutely excellent one-liners. She just wants a warm meal and to use her very heavy sword.

I don't even know how to explain this book -- like... ok there's magic and it's all necromancy and incredibly creepy, yes, and also every setting is AS ominous as possible. Also much less of this book occurs *in space* than I was expecting from the marketing quotes, so don't expect TOO much space. There's some outer space, sure, but not a ton.

This book kept me up until 1:30 a.m. two nights ago, so if that isn't an endorsement, I don't know what is!

SpoilerOkay this was a 5 star read but POTENTIALLY knocking off a half-point for that ending. RIP Gideon -- still hoping she comes back somehow or, I don't know, haunts Harrow in the 2nd? Is each book in this series named after someone who dies?