One Day, by David Nicholls

bendalrymple's review against another edition

emotional funny reflective fast-paced

sharpreads's review against another edition

emotional sad fast-paced

hannahsc's review against another edition

emotional sad medium-paced

kerameia's review against another edition

The concept was intriguing and the characters very real and familiar, especially given their experiences of transition into the adult world. As the story went on, however, I found that I didn't connect with the characters or their evolving relationships, and I wasn't convinced by the outcome.

doc_erinnicole's review against another edition

Honestly I found it overly sentimental and a bit too precious. But it was a quick Kindle read so I guess it is what it is....

harrietsbookcorner's review against another edition

I went into this book knowing absolutely nothing and was really pleasantly surprised! I must say that the characters are truly horrible people, but I couldn’t help but want to read about them. This book went in directions that I didn’t expect and dealt a lot with addiction and substance abuse which was very emotional and powerful to read about.

shainaeg's review against another edition

Beginning with a one night stand and blossoming into a friendship with a constant romantic undercurrent. One Day is a book about friendship, growing up, and love. The main characters have their ups and downs in their own lives, in their relationships, and in their friendship. They grow and evolve as people and as friends. Throughout it all Dexter and Emma feel real and so does their friendship and that is what really matters in this book.

tovr's review against another edition

Full pott 5/5. Jag älskade den. Den var så känslosam och fick mig att känna så mycket känslor. Jag grät, skrattade, kände frustration, sorg ALLT MÖJLIGT. Den var så bra skriven där beskrivningarna gav mig en klar bild av karaktärerna och där känslorna porträtterades på ett så verkligt sätt. Jag rekommenderar denna bok starkt till alla hihi

cat521's review against another edition

SpoilerI almost gave up on the book after about 50 pages in, but I kept thinking that it'll get better. I was hoping over the span of 20 years, the author would give them more depth, make them more interesting characters. Sadly that did not happen. It's a shallow story of Emma and Dexter having a one night stand, and Emma longing to be with Dexter for the next 15 years. The ending was just too melodramatic. It was not my cup of tea.

dflick2012's review against another edition

I have really mixed emotions over this book. I enjoyed it. But I was not expecting it to end like that. I was not prepared for a sad ending!

Movie Update: I had my mom watch the movie with me. She was NOT pleased with the ending. She really does not like when I pick sad movies. Because I ALWAYS pick sad movies.