Transcendent Kingdom by Yaa Gyasi

latoyareadsdaily's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional reflective slow-paced

abazz's review against another edition

At first I found the book disturbing, uncomfortable and dark and I thought it would be my first DNF of the year. But as I persevered through the jumbled timeline, the rawness of Nana’s addiction and inevitable death I found I was keen to know how it ended.

It was uncomfortable finding out so early on in the book that this character had died and then slowly almost reliving his life & the honest details - uncovering the days before his death, what drove him to addiction etc. It felt like I was reading something too personal for my eyes.

I didn’t enjoy this book but it did break my heart multiple times and I wanted to give Gifty a hug. Hug her throughout her years and it made me smile a little at the end of the book knowing she had someone - her husband and previous lab partner Han. Gifty deserved to be loved and to enjoy parts of her life after all she had endured and I’m happy Yaa Gyasi gave her that.

I have many other thoughts about this book but tbh I need a little break because this was heavy and I am mourning for characters I only knew in these pages, I guess this is the sign of a well written book to be moved this much.

What I did learn intimately is the way addiction and drugs can tear lives apart and the shame attached to it that leaves the mourning uncomfortably alone threatening a cycle.

yeimy's review against another edition

emotional reflective sad medium-paced

emma_20's review against another edition

challenging sad tense slow-paced

heatherradloff's review against another edition

Just not for me.

za_'s review against another edition

challenging emotional reflective sad tense medium-paced

A book about faith, addiction, taking care of your parents, growing up

the MC has a brother who dies from a drug addiction, a mother who never recovered from that loss. The MC now studies mice to see if you can help humans overcome their addictions

A book about the far reaching impact of dealing with someone else’s addiction, the way it shapes you, your actions, how you move throughout the world.

A book about leaving your home, Ghana, in hopes of a better future for your family - but your husband returns home and your son becomes an addict.

Has to step away from the books at times, as the topic is heavy, but beautifully written.

abenteuerlichesoul's review

informative reflective medium-paced

freya_sw's review against another edition

emotional reflective medium-paced

biobabe's review against another edition

drrock's review against another edition

emotional reflective sad fast-paced