The Sun Is Also a Star, by Nicola Yoon

ithaarelbagir's review

emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

megangillespie's review

Maybe closer to 3.5 stars.
I really enjoyed Nicola Yoon's writing in her first novel, and in that regard, this book certainly didn't disappoint. I also really loved the diversity in this book and how fast paced it was. However, everything was a little too convenient for me, and the insta-love was unrealistic and made the book seem a little less genuine to me.

emilielinlin's review

Not gonna lie...I was really into the book from the beginning until the end until Once I set the novel down I realized how poorly some parts were written. Don’t get me wrong, I love the plot, the style and the descriptive writing but how the story was concluded seemed a bit meh. Okay don’t criticize me if this comment is too cliche: it was just. too. cheesey. I’m aware that’s well, a very stupid way to judge a book especially a romance but it got to the extent where the conclusion was finished so poorly I cringed. I loved Natasha’s character and I somehow liked how everything took a twist and I kinda understand what feelings the author tried to provoke at the end but that conclusion was what brought me down to 3 stars. Wow I sound like a food critic. Anyway, I ‘enjoyed’ the book but that cliffhanger was just way too much for my curious self to handle.

ashleyvictoria's review against another edition

fast-paced

i like how you can think of many scenarios that could’ve happened at the end

awaywithwords15's review

2.5/5

full review to come. long story short, i didn’t like this as much as i thought i would.

herownbeat's review

Tears

Such beautiful writing. It’s hard not to be affected by the various stories that are woven through this book. I’m full of emotion.

jovannagarcia's review

hopeful medium-paced

pinkantifa's review against another edition

questo libro è stato una boccata d'aria fresca dopo mesi di letture scolastiche molto impegnate. la storia è in se molto carina, ma non mi sento di dare più di tre stelle perchè qua e là sono sparsi cliquè dei romanzi rosa/ YA che personalmente non ho mai apprezzato.
Adoro molto i libri della Yoon perchè in un modo o in un altro parlano sempre di argomenti come il razzismo o l'immigrazione.

slowreaderlmao's review

adventurous emotional hopeful fast-paced

I LOVED THIS BOOK! one of my favs!!
I did not think this will be the ending, it was kinda sad but I loved it!

emilyannk94's review

It was ok. I like the diversity of the characters. However, from the description, I thought Natasha was going to be a lot more science-y than what she was in the book.

Also, I didn’t like the throw-in chapters of different characters, like Hannah Winter and Fitzgerald. I just didn’t think they were needed. And it also felt like the author forgot she gave Irene a chapter and had to include her somewhere else.

I do not like insta-love. This book takes place in 13 hours and I knew by page 50 they’d be saying “I love you” and making out by the halfway point. I get that the characters were experimenting with the 35 intimacy questions, but I just don’t see it happening.

However, that being said, I did like the time constraint of Natasha’s situation. Logically, I don’t think everything the character did would fit into 12 hours, but it was a sense of “will it happen?” Even though I guessed what was going to happen.

I see why young audiences will enjoy this book, but I don’t think Nicola Yoon’s work is for me. This is the second book I have read by her, and the hype doesn’t sit with me. Younger audiences though, will probably love this.