Persuasion by Jane Austen

the_sunken_library's review against another edition

One of my favourite books ever is Pride and Predjudice. It's very self aware, witty, cynical and the two protagonists realise they both have flaws, they aren't perfect, working hard to remedy them before coming together as equals. Lush.

This was insufferable drivel. Anne is a snobby, easily persuaded git obsessed with status and opinion. She's described as intelligent and pretty, but clearly folds like a melted mars bar when someone suggests that, as a baronets daughter, she has a duty to her family to marry well. She abandons love, a man devoted to her, and practically lives as a spinster with her almost bankrupt father and airhead of a sister. Love interest Captain Wentworth is a wet blanket with no spine. Almost 9 years passes but he doesnt find love elsewhere. Some say this is romantic, showing devotion of the utmost. But why would you bother when a woman who claims to love you, will marry you, calls it off when some old family friend suggests she might do better. Ridiculous. He finds his fortune and then by luck, bumps into her in Bath. In a weird fit of belated revenge, he pretends to fancy her mate who then falls down the stairs and cracks her head open. I mean, what? Why?

Even when they finally pluck up the courage to f**king talk to each other, he admits he almost did court the girl into marriage because people assumed he was already doing so by showing her "attention". What?!?!?! "By their presumptions I would have been obliged to marry her were she interested in doing so." Insane.

Anne clearly regrets being persuaded not to marry Caprain Wentworth when 19. However, she doesn't believe she was wrong in her choice or duty. Instead, she claims that, at 28, those words mean different things to her. Plus, he's now incredibly rich, much richer than her father, so marrying down isn't so bad.

Yes, there were the some observations of class and society, but this was much better executed in Vanity Fair.

I hated everyone in this book, thought our protagonists the most boring, bland people ever and hope to hell this doesn't spoil my enjoyment of her other book.

figsofpeach's review against another edition

reflective medium-paced

ameliaisreading2222's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful reflective relaxing sad slow-paced

My fav Jane Austen book, I love Anne deeply it makes me so happy to see her learn to stand up for herself and I almost cried when she ended up happy after so long!

sarah_bell's review against another edition

emotional slow-paced

rachelkollar's review against another edition

nyx0s's review against another edition

i’m not good at reading period pieces lmao

sandydollreads's review against another edition

funny slow-paced

Beautifully written but a bore.

thegreekmoon's review against another edition

there was so much DRAMA, love it

dizcofriez's review against another edition

funny reflective slow-paced

gallusquared's review against another edition

emotional hopeful lighthearted slow-paced