A Love Hate Thing, by Whitney D. Grandison

lastbookmarauder's review

I am so sad that this book just did not work for me. It had everything going for it: beautiful cover, enemies-to-lovers, young adult. However, in spite of all of that, it felt like a chore to finish this.

Nandy is one of the worst characters I have ever read. She is a selfish, entitled, spoiled, rich girl and I never really came around to liking her. The reader is told many times that Nandy is actually very sweet and welcoming and incredibly involved in her school and her neighborhood - but we never see that. We only see her whine about every tiny thing that doesn't go exactly her way.
SpoilerNandy also becomes incredibly possessive over Trice even though she has a boyfriend and her best friend likes him.
She does become slightly more tolerable after the first half of the book, but she never lives up to this character she was painted to be. If she has all these amazing qualities, as I reader, I want to see her exhibiting them.

The writing also felt a little inconsistent to me. Several times the author wrote absolutely beautiful paragraphs about race, adoption, and friendships. Then have her seventeen year old characters say things like "jump street" or complain about being embarrassed because Trice was having his hair braided outside and her house "ain't the hood."

SpoilerTrice and Nandy's relationship was also super strange to me. They have this pretty intense connection from when they were kids, then she is a massive brat to him when he comes to stay with her family, they patch it up and become friends for, like, a page, then she hates him again and is even more bratty, and then they are in love. It was just too much.

Plus, the actual plot if the book was unoriginal and pretty bland in a majority of the book. The minor conflicts were incredibly repetitive and the major conflict was just glossed over.

There is also a lot of mentions of religion, but for no real purpose. It doesn't play a real role in the story, but is referenced many times. I kept expecting it to mean something in the end... but, no.

With all that said, I did like several things from this book. I already mentioned that parts of the writing were done well. I loved that the author touched on boys dealing with their emotions, loss, and abuse. I also really enjoyed Trice's character. Learning about his past and watching him grow and heal was done very well. I loved his appreciation for his heritage and sharing that with the Smith's.

***Copy received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review***

gii3's review

I'm on the fence how to even begin rating this book. The story and characters had so much potential (except you, Nandy) and it could have easily become a favorite of mine, I could have easily been low-key wrecked by it.... But it just read as so thoroughly under-edited that it was in many ways torture to finish this book. I think after the 65% of the book the only reason I kept going was Travis effing Catalano who is a literal angel and you can fight me on this but you're wrong.

brokebybooks's review against another edition

I received this book for free from Harper Collins in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.I'm such a sucker for a good rom-com, like 10 Things I Hate About You and To All The Boys I've Loved Before. Now, we've got A Love Hate Thing by Whitney D. Grandison. Two childhood friend reunite under the same roof and everything seems set against them, including each other, but as they say, there's a thin line between love and hate.

About A Love Hate Thing:

IMHO: A Love Hate Thing

Ooooooo this is so good! A Love Hate Thing is a modern rom com with all the hallmarks of making a great movie.

It's also a love letter for late 90s/00s pop culture. They met as children, so a lot of their initial connection is rooted in that nostalgia and it's celebrated. I don't think it's too old or dated. The timeline works for when they were kids and it makes sense. I do think Gen Z's have more appreciation for Millenial pop culture than Millenials for Boomers, so there isn't going to as drastic a change in references yet. Plus, there's plenty of current pop culture as well so it's a good mix.
I totally got why Nandi and Tyson bumped heads and fought. I can't STAND when the conflict doesn't make sense or can be solved with a talk. They did talk. Then things changed, they fought, and talked again. It's not always smooth and easy sailing for love, which is always good to see in fiction. I'm tired of the instant clicking couple, TBH.

I looooove the supporting cast of friends. I read in the author's note my two favorites were inspired by The OC, which totally makes sense. Such a sucker for everyone in here, actaully.

When the shy girl stepped up & started dancing on Travis?? SO PROUD. Literally met her for like 5 pages, but my heart swelled. Kyle, my sweet nerdy, Kyle *squee*

I'm so down with more Pacific Hills teen drama and just more from Grandison generally.

Favorite Quotes:

Like Joseph GordonLevitt cute.

"The only thing worse than existing in a world of notoriety is knowing that you don't matter to the one you want the most.

A quote by Marianne Williamson came to mind, and I knew that I couldn't let the fear of not being good enough beat me.

He was risking everything he'd built to save a past he needed to escape.

About the Author:

This review was originally posted on The Layaway Dragon

becca2bz's review

emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

Absolutely loved this!! Black love is so inspiring!!!! I just can’t get over how much I loved the characters Nandy had her moments but she figured it out in the end and Trice was just everything!! Couldn’t put it down!!

deliahsimone's review

hopeful lighthearted slow-paced

The characters felt a bit flat at times. Overall strongly reminded me of a good Wattpad story.

tayahmarie's review against another edition

emotional funny reflective medium-paced

A classic enemies-to-lovers story and I loved the representation as much as I did the romance. Definitely look up trigger warnings before diving in since there are quite a few.

danielleliss's review against another edition

I wanted to DNF several times and wish I had. I REALLY wanted to like this, but it wasn't for me.

nakeshabrownreads's review against another edition

I thought I was going to love this book. I mean I am all about hate to love in contemporary romance but this one didn’t hit quite right. It was pretty good but it felt like two books in one. There was a climax in the middle then another build up at the end. The hate to love part was rushed.
SpoilerHer kissing his bullet wounds happened waaaay to early in the story
It would have made more sense if it wasn’t hate to love but friends to lovers (it made no sense for Nandy to be mad at Trice in the beginning). Trice’s story about his family was so tragic (and unexpected) and I thought it could have been more of the story.
SpoilerThe issue with Money and Mexico at the end was very unnecessary, like really did he need to be shot again??
The story could have been more about the characters (Nandy and her issues, Trice and his family) less about this dramatic plot and it would have been much better in my opinion. I don’t know how to explain it. It was disappointing. Basically I loved the characters, hated the plot.

rachelusher14's review