The Once and Future Witches, by Alix E. Harrow

redrose97's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional slow-paced

adgraves3's review against another edition

Not going to lie, going into it I was skeptical. But wow, there's so much beauty in this book. I enjoyed the way it's written in so many metaphors, similes, and strong illustrative language.

fish_reads's review against another edition

Wow. Just, wow. This book was everything.

paperbackwritter's review against another edition

“That’s all magic is, really: the space between what you have and what you need.”

Un libro hermoso, y un nuevo favorito. Ojalá fuera mas popular, se lo merece.

elizabethmalousek's review against another edition

emotional hopeful slow-paced

milkyboos's review against another edition

originally was thinking 3 stars because the pacing and very descriptive writing style weren’t my favorite, BUT the ending had me in tears and we all know i’m a sucker for a good old-fashioned cry

chilarome's review against another edition

Having only dreamt I would ever read this story, it was a privilege to hold the book in my hands and drink in the text. But once I started, I found I couldn’t stop! This wild, empowering, frustrating, and ultimately rewarding tale is special and unrelenting (I don’t know that I’ve consumed a book as voraciously in a loooooong time). Bella, Agnes, and Juniper are fleshed out and brought to life so successfully that when the book finished, a ghostly absence hung in the air.

I am very grateful to Alix Harrow for getting this story out there. Everyone, but particularly young women, should give this a read. Taste the power of hope on your tongue. Drink in the fury of hundreds of years of scorned women and dare to imagine a different world. Hopefully this inspires a new generation of witches, because we all know we need them.

(Book content warning: child abuse, sexual assault)

coffeemasterj's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional tense medium-paced

griskusse's review against another edition

adventurous emotional slow-paced

I’m not sure if I read this at the wrong time or I’m just not into the writing but it was a struggle for me to get through this. (I tried audio and ebook) The characters are interesting and I enjoyed the story and the chapter intros as spells. It just wasn’t what I was expecting I guess.

woahno's review against another edition

Between the short stories I have read by Alix E. Harrow and last year's The Ten Thousand Doors of January, this novel was propelled to the top of my TBR upon its release by sheer virtue of being the next thing. It's always a magical experience as a reader when you find a writer that has a style you eat up and Harrow is that for me.

What I liked.
For starters, the writing. I love the prose. I love how the magic seems to be filled into the gaps between the lines. It is not always an overt display of some kind but rather a subtle working within a scene. As it says in the book:
I love this quote. I love this concept. And I love how it plays into the magic and the world on display in The Once and Future Witches. It lends a weight to the spells and willpower of the characters, and also to stories of old that are incorporated throughout.

The character work was on point as well. The Eastwood sisters especially were great. It makes sense that the main characters were the most interesting but that isn't always the case. I particularly liked Juniper. She was my favorite. She did a lot of questionable yet entertaining things and was constantly propelling the plot forward. Sometimes you just need a person to come in and make things happen without really thinking it through. That was Juniper in this book and I found it to be delightful.

What I did not like.
As much as I love the magic it can be a double edged sword. There were times when I was like "Wait, what?! How did they do that? Why haven't they been doing that before now?" and on that line of thinking goes. I love soft magic systems but it can be a draw back at times and it took me out of this story a few times. Also, I found the pacing to be a bit slow on occasion. Neither were major drawbacks, but they were there.

Overall, this was a great read. The concept and execution were enough to keep me interested throughout most of the novel and the prose had me invested in the rest. I'll continue to put Harrow's work on the top of my TBR whenever she releases them.