Pretending by Holly Bourne

vampiregirl333's review against another edition

3.5. Love Holly bourne and her morals, but this book did feel like pinterest quotes about feminism had just been vomited on it.if it werent for the seggsy scenes this book would definitely not be an adult book..

amberlfletch's review against another edition

challenging emotional reflective sad medium-paced

msameliee's review against another edition

emotional hopeful medium-paced

belgiancupcake's review against another edition

Terrible writing

readsbyhope's review against another edition

challenging emotional reflective sad medium-paced

rosecoloredmind's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

gabizago's review

In "Pretending", April, the main character, makes it clear that she hates men. She works at an organization that provides help to abusive relationships, and sometimes her job reminds her constantly of why she hates men. She also is single and looking for someone. But did I mention that she hates men? So the search gets really hard.
Overall, I would say that the book is interesting. At times her internal dialogue with herself gets long and tedious (I get it, she hates men), but the book itself is pretty interesting and there is a story about trusting people somewhere in there.

ameserole's review against another edition

I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

So Pretending would be my second book by Holly and honestly... I'm slightly obsessed with her books and writing. In it, you will meet April. Now she is my spirit animal in a way because I'm basically where she is at. I don't like people and I have zero desire to date. Plus we are still sort of living in a pandemic.. but I wont blame that for the way that I am right now. It's just the mindset that I'm currently in and I'm okay with life.

Unlike me, though, April has an alter ego - Gretel. Is she currently look for her Hansel in this book? No, because they were siblings and that's gross. She was, however, hoping that Gretel could help solve her problems. Ha! I mean, in a way - yes. She just had to prepare for some consequence as well.

In the end, I'm not like April at all but I definitely enjoyed watching her fall in love, dig herself into a giant hole, and then try to figure out a way out. It was cute and I went through some emotions while reading about her hot mess of a life. Plus, her and Josh were all kinds of cute so I was definitely rooting for them.

Definitely enjoyed this book and I need another one by Holly stat!

cailana's review against another edition

challenging emotional reflective slow-paced

lorrietruck's review against another edition

Important message but it really beats you around the face with it. Subtlety is not this book’s game, that’s for sure.