Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro

tabithamunro's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious reflective slow-paced

wild_sage's review against another edition

challenging dark reflective sad fast-paced

lucien_'s review against another edition

challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective relaxing sad slow-paced

A story that only reveals itself to you as you get to know it, Never Let Me Go is a critically clever novel with realistic voices that will make you think about the biggest questions of life. You do not see a snapshot of a life, instead, you walk through time witnessing the full-bodied stories of a band of everyday persons. My only gripe with the story is the pace—I was not gripped by the story and had to force myself to check in with Kathy and the Hailsham gang rather than wanting to go back to it.

ninatw's review against another edition

There were so many things to love about this book; the writing style is uniquely conversational and meandering in its controlled recollection of memory, and reminded me of ‘The Remains of the Day’. The characters are believable and vivid, and all the little squabbles and minute interactions between them make them feel even more real. The plot itself feels slightly dull on the surface, but subtle hints and discreet insinuations throughout create an eerie atmosphere around this whole world, and I was totally captivated by the wanting to uncover more about it. The revelations near the end of the book are made more believable by the small discoveries we as the reader make alongside Kathy growing up, and I think that’s what helps it feel not too whacky and sci-fi, which was perfect for me. There are studies of human nature and relationships throughout the book, all coming to a head with the ultimate premise of the novel, which makes us question the skewed boundaries between scientific discovery and humaneness/morality in both our world and this distorted version of it. The idea of Hailsham as a symbolic place which emotionally connects Ruth, Tommy and Kathy is powerful, for me even more so than the love triangle between them, as it represents their childhood and the innocence they have since lost as they approach their inevitably tragic fate. Overall this was just such a captivating book unlike anything else I’ve read, I loved the writing style, and it had a powerful impact for me!

aphrodities's review against another edition

this was heartbreaking

alicejwatkinson's review against another edition

The experience of reading this book and watching everything piece together is like walking through the fog. The further you walk, slowly the mist thins and thins until it eventually clears completely, and before you can even register it everything has been revealed. Really interesting read.

carenzabramwell's review against another edition

If I’m honest, it wasn’t until I read the Wikipedia page that I understood this book. As sci-fy/ dystopians aren’t my thing, I struggled to get through this book. I think I might need to watch the film and then come back to it to appreciate it better. I did enjoy the writing style and how it was told from Kathy’s perspective.

araerh's review against another edition

This book has a unique storyline that is unlike any other book. Even though it only tells the daily life of students in Hilsham School, it can make the reader wonder about the dilemma between human morals and the safety of many people in this world. This book tells about everyday life, friendship, family, romance and so on. But you still need focus when you read it or you will be confused. Besides, if you read this book, don't ever look at spoilers for the story, because all the stories in this book are important, and if you already know the spoilers, this book won't be very interesting anymore.

Rate: 3/5

georgewhatup's review against another edition

Enduringly beautiful and melancholic, it will sit with me forever.

marys_bookish_musings's review against another edition

I absolutely loved this. I started it in May and only got 20 pages in. Then after un-packing I got into it and finished it in a week. I loved the writing style - conversational adult recalling childhood. The little hints at events that would be mentioned later kept me flipping the pages. A must read.