Homie by Danez Smith

brice_mo's review against another edition

Loved the euphoric momentum of this. Little long, but so many great lines in here.

thebeercanon's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional tense slow-paced

bandrs's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional funny reflective slow-paced

linguinismom's review against another edition

without fail danez amazes me with their words. i cannot wait for this to go on audio so i can hear them perform this.
my favorites: my president; rose; in lieu of a poem, i’d like to say; on faggotness; what was said at the bus stop; my poems; trees!

and more will be added to the list when i reread. :)

thelonelycastle's review

Danez Smith is 100% my favorite poet of all time

towering_tbr's review against another edition

Some incredibly moving poems and some others that just didn't resonate with me. Definitely enjoyed Don't Call Us Dead better but this was still good.

sonjapardee's review

emotional funny reflective medium-paced

jkilmer's review

dark emotional hopeful inspiring sad fast-paced

how could i deny us
the grace of accidents

& old age, the laws of
disease & holy sick?

there is already so much
trying to end us so let
it not include our hands
today, let us not be dead

& red-handed for it
not today, not never

not yet.

danamantooth's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective fast-paced

lewislikesbooks's review against another edition

Content warnings - Racism, homophobia, bullying, suicide references, themes of death

"A dead dog is a hero, a dead lion is a hero, a cloned sheep is a miracle a dead child is a tragedy depending in the color, the nation, the occupation or non-occupation of the parents."

This collection was perfect. It was loud and impactful and never shied away from anything, wow. This may just be my favourite poetry book that I read in 2020, absolutely fantastic.