Hello World: How to be Human in the Age of the Machine, by Hannah Fry

informative

cwirka11's review against another edition

daisyro24's review against another edition

challenging informative fast-paced

Made me intrigued and feel slightly ill at the thought of the tech, great book!

bethancy's review against another edition

informative medium-paced

loreabad6's review against another edition

informative reflective medium-paced

Even if I did not agree with all the opinions in this book, the facts were very well presented, in an easy understandable way, a great example of scientific communication to the public. Even if I work daily with algorithms, I learned a lot from the theory behind them from this book in a very illustrative way that I will surely use myself for future explanations.

emilytryingtoread's review against another edition

informative medium-paced

Its good, but kinda scares me about the future of the world. I dont really like the idea of algorithms.

wannieh's review against another edition

funny hopeful informative reflective

exorbts's review against another edition

interesting keywords: decision trees, random forests, neural networks, Deep Blue, IBM Watson,
Bayes’ theorem, trolley problem, Tencent YouTu Lab, FaceNet, geoprofiling algorithm, HunchLab, PredPol, and every other word in the book!

this was horrifically astonishing!! I've never been that intrigued reading a nonfiction!
esp. a book about tech and algorithms. it was like reading an extracurricular book as a CSE student
(yet another victim of society's expectation).

it was fun, funny, informative, and concise. HIGHLY RECOMMEND! (even if you're not a CSE student)

restated's review against another edition

I read so much pop science and sometimes I'm not sure why because most of it is just .... okay. This was a pretty sunny look at some of the implications of outsourcing decision-making to helpful algorithms. It was interesting! I think I was hoping for a little bit more meat.

miklosha's review against another edition

Hannah Fry, a mathematician and science communicator, writes about the impact of AI, machine learning, and algorithms on daily life. This short book is full of interesting stories, dilemmas, and thought provoking arguments about how to think about a perceived perfect (but actually quite imperfect) system weaved into the fabric of human existence.

A great read for folks with only a lay understanding of machine learning.