The Only Good Indians, by Stephen Graham Jones

jewelboops's review against another edition

dark reflective tense medium-paced

i can already feel me liking this more and more with time, loved the writing style just couldn’t rlly handle the animal killing. but all felt necessary and very reflective. multilayered meanings and pretty beautiful

writetorun's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious tense slow-paced

apocalypse_musings's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

gentryatkinson's review against another edition

Writing was amazing and I really enjoyed the story but was expecting a bit more of a scare factor.

whatthefawkes's review against another edition

I liked it but I also didn't? This feels like something I might need to read more than once to uncover exactly what's happening in the text because it's so layered.

boocmarc79's review against another edition

Incredible, terrifying, beautiful, lasting.
This one will haunt me for a long time and I’m so grateful.

jalovesbooks's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

ulysses_'s review against another edition

soudanboniato's review against another edition

I don't think it was the book for me. I wanted to like it so much, but I ended up not being able to keep up with the story. This is why I decided to not rate it since I didn't actually read it.

Spoiler The only part that stuck with me, is when Lewis goes insane (or is he?) and murders both the women he was flirting with and his pregnant wife. That was really hard to read.
The rest is just a blur.

zendegi's review against another edition

Tried as hard as I might, but I just could not get into this story. It plodded on with little suspense. The four boys who grow up after their night of hunting all felt like the same character, just in different circumstances. Because the story didn't grab me, I had to focus very hard while I listened to the audiobook, and even had to repeat sections, which is not my normal experience. Had I read it in print, I might have enjoyed it more. The trope of "revenge of the mother" was kind of disappointing too. Can a female creature not want to fight because she herself wants to live? And why does the cover have a picture of a male deer instead of a female elk (my most pressing question from this story...)?