Witchshadow, by Susan Dennard

accidentalbookishchaos's review

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

leedolee's review

adventurous reflective tense medium-paced

A bit challenging to understand at times and at times confusing with the various titles and characters that appeared in this novel. Regardless, a fun read.

The Witchlands series has easily swept into my life as a favorite of mine and certain characters (AEDUAN) have become my favorites. This series is filled with action, friendship, betrayals, love, and so much worldbuilding! A fun series with brilliant writing.

msailor's review

adventurous emotional hopeful tense medium-paced

jemmakaitlyn's review

adventurous slow-paced

I have liked the books in this series progressively less. I love Iseult and Ad's romance but now it just feels like there are too many perspectives and individual story lines that don't feel like they're driving the plot forward and it feels like less and less is happening in each book.

evelyn2's review

Buddy read with Riya!

I honestly don’t even know how to feel about this book. I feel like I can’t properly judge it because I’ve forgotten so much from the previous books, but then again I didn’t really enjoy it all that much.

I don’t think it’s just because I don’t remember stuff because all the Witchland books have been confusing to an extent, so this one was definitely really confusing for me. I felt like it followed too many povs, including stix and ryber who I didn’t care about at all.

To be honest, the only people I cared about were Iseult and Aeduan. And something that happens to one of the characters just makes their relationship even worse/ more boring but I guess that’s character development or whatever lol.

The plot was messy just because there were so many povs doing different things I felt like I could not properly follow a single one.

Anyways, the book really wasn’t that bad even if I made it out to be and I probably will be reading the last one next year.

greysonk's review

adventurous emotional tense fast-paced

starsunivcrse's review

aaand we’re finally done! i do enjoy susan dennard’s writing and the book was pretty good ( pace picked up about 40% in). NGL it was hard to remember what happened in the last few books, and I feel like more could’ve been done to remind us, I still dint know or care about vivia/Vanessa/stix all I know now is that vivia is meriks sister and they didn’t die? Idk their chapters were all boring but at least we’ll be getting iseult and REAL aeduan again next book!

inknox's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense slow-paced

The Witchlands books are a favorite of mine.  That being said, I do often take a while to get into the books due to the way the story is written.  The writing is by no means bad, but there are sections in which I was pulled out of the narrative due to the fact that some bits were awkward or just plain stiff.  WitchShadow seems to have more of this issue, though,  especially when dealing with Iseult.  Her character development this book is all around her magic that she has newly figured out and how she feels about that magic. Being that it is void magic.  Iseult for a majority of the book has accepted her new status as The Puppeteer and is working on expressing and processing emotion.  The issues mostly start when
Spoiler Corlant captures her and then reveals himself to be her father.
Spoiler Iseult perhaps five times says that now she finally understands what is going on and what it means for her to be what she is and that she is a fool for not seeing it earlier.  Often these revelations will contradict the revelation before and so on.  It cheapened Iseult's whole ark in the last part of the book because it feels more or less like the author doesn't really want to make a strong character choice in fear of it being received poorly.  Overall the book felt like a reiteration of Bloodwitch in terms of plot.
SpoilerIseult and Safi were separated and trying to get back to each other (Iseult on the run and traveling with Owl, Safi trapped in a court and trying to find a way out), Vivia is trying to prove that the crown is hers, and Stix is following the voices (trying to figure out what they want and make them go away).  The book felt more centered around progressing the larger plot that includes the Paladins and how the past is affecting now; but, the fact that many of the other characters didn't have anything to do with that made it feel like they were just sitting around and not really getting much done throughout the book.
Spoiler