Witchshadow by Susan Dennard

okim2cool4u's review

Spoiler
sofi and iseult splitting up YET AGAIN
description
just want the dream team back together. the friendship is what made me fall in love with this series at the start.
i should have loved this book!! it barely had merik in it all all lol.
have to say i don't like the time jumps/flashbacks. why introduce that in this book when it's not been in any others that i can remember? at least put the two flashbacks set in different times in chronological order... or the whole book in chronological order....... still loving the characters and of course I'll pick up the next book. sad this one didn't work for me. it almost felt somewhat like a filler book even though things did happen?? somewhat felt like i miss a book or somethin'

kickstand's review

Well this was rather meandering around plot lines. I'm sure this will all make more sense with cohesiveness once the next one comes out?

1ng3's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional hopeful mysterious tense medium-paced

julesbailey's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

hans_cosy_corner's review

Absolutely incredible, I really took my time with this one and thoroughly enjoyed every minute

etceteras's review

I wanted to give this book 5 stars because I love Iseult. She’s arguably my favorite character in the series (it’s real close between her and Aeduan) and her arc in this is honestly very good. However. There are a few things holding back my rating. I spent the first half of the book frustrated because of the time skip. After Iseult and Safi were reunited in Bloodwitch I had been looking forward to them being together and working together and instead this book starts with them separated again and everything is terrible and I was just like WHY THIS for awhile.

Now, the reasons are eventually revealed but I do feel like I would have enjoyed everything more if this had been two books instead of one, which I know is what the author had originally planned.

There was also a lot of world building stuff in this that was great in theory but ended up being kind of confusing because there was just SO MUCH going on there. Some of the big reveals fell flat for me because I was too busy being confused to be shocked. Again, I feel like it would have worked better in two books where things were given more room to breathe.

All that being said, the world continues to be fascinating. The time Iseult and Safi were on the page together they were great. Iseult dealing with her family issues and trauma was done very well. I loved getting to know Leopold a little more and I’m super intrigued about him and his storyline. Vivia and Vaness were fantastic, too.

So there was a lot in this book to love and enjoy. I think Dennard did a good job of combining two books into one, and there is a good chance I will like this installment more when I get around to re-reading the entire series. But I still wish she’d been able to give us the two books she’d originally planned on.

emiann2023's review

After what feels like lifetimes waiting for this book to come into my hands, I was surprised by how easily I fell back into this world.

A lot of the questions I had from the previous books were finally answered, though I certainly have more (and new ones were added). But overall this was a book that makes you raise your eyebrows. A lot. There is a lot of power and pain and guilt and a thousand other emotions in here.

But the ending is an interesting blend of happiness and sadness. I won't give more than that away, but I do really look forward to the final installment. Though I think like many other incredible series it will be a bittersweet ending.

kimani999's review

steffi_au_penguinbooks's review

3 stars

Things I hate as a reader: when one of your most anticipated book turns out to be a disappointment.

courtneyruth's review against another edition

The world building and story weaving through the different characters is phenomenal in this series. Not for the faint hearted, as the magic system is complex and expansive but that makes it so good. Just struggled to keep up with the changing characters sometimes using an audio book, recommend reading it physically.