A Gathering of Shadows, by V.E. Schwab

ocean_the_reader's review against another edition

adventurous slow-paced

I think this book definitely could have been  shorter. It was average but there was almost too much build up. And what build up there was was for the Essen Tasch, which wasn't really described in detail when it was happening, which I found really disappointing. It picked up a bit near the end but wasn't worth the length of the book.

mindiexmars's review against another edition

Wow- I loved this book. Any shortcomings I found in the first book were definitely made up for in the second. I loved getting to know the characters better as well as the kingdoms they served. Constant maze of plot twists that kept me on my toes craving every page. Well written and full of excitement.

ambertd's review against another edition

I’m so upset I didn’t enjoy this. Schwab is an amazing writer and I love where she takes her stories and how she pushes her characters and their morals. But I just am not a fan of Delilah Bard. She just irritates me so much and it’s not even a love to hate hate I have with her but I can’t stand her. And I’m so sad that I can’t fathom continuing with this series because of her.

ashlynfukuda's review against another edition

4.5 stars buuut IMO, this was an improvement on the first book in the series! how often does the “middle book” in a trilogy fall flat? all. the. time. not this book. it was fresh, fun, and i’m excited for the next! a thoroughly enjoyable read.

mnewgale's review against another edition

I didn’t enjoy it as much as the first, but it continues to grow on me.

camirl's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious tense fast-paced

karenmassey's review against another edition

I have some pretty strong opinions about this book:

1. It has an insanely slow start. Even after hitting the 200 page mark I felt like I was still in the opening act of the story.

2. At page 345 they FINALLY meet again and STILL they don’t even know that they’re seeing each other. This is a book with two main characters yet they spend almost the entire story apart. I get slow-burn, but the romance itself was the only thing about this story that wasn’t slow. Distance makes the heart grow fonder I guess.

3. Lila actually saying the words “I’m not like most girls” just about killed me. It was actually so painful that it made me laugh in disbelief. Please tell me that line was just some inside joke that Scwab wanted to include.

4. The last 200 pages of this book were so much fun. We got to see Rhy fleshed out more as a character and more depth added to Kell and Rhy’s relationship. Kell banished a guy just for breaking Rhy’s heart, ultimate protective big brother move. Speaking of, Alucard was the perfect addition and evened out Lila’s ego-filled obnoxiousness. That being said, somehow I still like her character too. I always seem to like the annoying characters.

Overall, this book just felt like 500 pages of waiting for something to happen and then everything happening at once. At this point, that kind of just seems to be V. E. Scwab’s writing style. I definitely preferred the first book, but I still enjoyed this sequel. No matter my opinions, I am now in too deep not to read the last book in the trilogy.

nemeia's review against another edition

Holy hell, this book did not disappoint. I loved the first book but put off reading this one. I can't decide whether I should have put it off longer so I wouldn't have to wait as long for the next book, or devoured it as soon as I got it. The characters are beautiful, the world building is gorgeous, and the magic system is exquisite. And the ending? One of the biggest and most excruciating cliff hangars I've had the joy of reading.

sarajuliam05's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

justmereadinghere's review against another edition

3.5/5 stars