Space Team, by Barry J. Hutchison

larry1138's review

I listened to the Audible audiobook version.

I decided to take a dive back into sci-fi comedy with this title and while this book wasn't particularly hilarious, it did entertain me well enough. There isn't much to say in terms of characters and story. Hutchinson has decent skill at world building and character development, though much of that seems incomplete in this first book (which perhaps is the point). Space Team is a whole series, so I suspect much more developments to come in the rest of the series, though I have to admit this first book has only barely interested me in continuing it. Much of my hesitation might have to do with the main character, Cal Carver, who I find to be mostly annoying. I see what Hutchinson was trying to do in making him almost hyper-witty while throwing in pop culture references here and there but it just didn't work for me that much. My favorite character has got to be Mech who has the most interesting personalities and abilities.

The one huge praise I can give is to Phil Thron, who provided the narration for the audiobook. He should be awarded for his range and ability. He is able to provide distinct voices for most of the characters, an impressive feat that some narrators miss at. I particularly liked his voice for Mech which sounded a little bit like Sergeant Johnson from Halo. Throns ability to play the characters and provide a somewhat whimsical narration give the necessary bursts of energy at particular comedic moments.

Despite Throns great performance, I will only recommend this to someone looking for a light sci-fi comedy series. It can be fun, a little bit funny, and it is lighthearted, but I believe there are other funnier and more complete stories out there if you are looking for a good sci-fi comedy experience. Perhaps Hutchinson can improve things in the rest of the series.

vailynst's review

02/25/2020 Mini-Review:

4.5 Stars for Narration by Phil Thron
4 Stars for Great Setup of Characters & Plot

Rating Raise to 4 Stars from 3.5 Stars

It's been a while since I've listened to the first book of the series. Friends have decided to dive into the series & I'm joining them for the ride. I've been recommending this to them for a while and it's cool to see them enjoy it too!

- Intro: I love how well BJH established Cal, the setting and primary situation from the get go. Humor, quick outlines of the characters and details that clearly dictate story vibe. I forgot how creepy the Butcher was and the casual way BJH defined him by the way Cal & the Butcher (Eugene) interacted.
- Let's just state that Cal is a big dork and annoying as heck. However, he's got an equally annoying optimism & cheerful camaraderie that totally pull the misfit crew together. He's a good guy with a lot of skeptical habits. Definitely not a hero but one that ends up fighting/cheering for his buddies.
- It's really cool to see how there's no real downtime or pause in the book. Each part is there for a reason, and it's nice to come back & appreciate all of that.

01/19/2018 Mini-Review:

4 Stars for Narration by Phil Thron
3.5 Stars for Story

If you're looking for a snarky space adventure, this is it. You'll get it in spades with this book. The series was recommended to me by a friend and I'm giving him two thumbs up. We tend to enjoy similar stories for almost the same reasons.

I'm a little hazy on what Cal and Lorn(sp?) look like but the rest of the crew of Shatner is easy to picture. It took me a while but Mech TOTALLY sounds like Mr. T. If you are listening to the audiobook and know about the A-Team, you'll see what I mean.

While not that complicated, the author does a great job of mixing up enough different elements in a new fashion to keep you interested. The story is definitely character driven and I like the fact that they are not superheroes. Well. Mostly not. You'll see.

Good times! I already got the next audiobook. I'm sure I'll be listening to it soon.

stevoslice's review against another edition

funny lighthearted

kristenwestfall's review

Goofy and super silly.

trooper1881's review

fantastic

friedatweehuysen's review

Quirky, funny. Cal is a wise-ass that's for sure! Joined by some other misfits they are off to save the world, only, they've got the wrong person...

P.S. Do his teammates ever sleep?

So good.

ericlklein's review

Cal feels like a less successful Face from the A-Team caught up in a situation like John Crition (Farscape) or Flash Gordon (from the movie not the comics).

A fun read, and I am looking forward to reading book 2.

hansemrbean's review

I was undecided between 3 and 4, but I had a lot of fun with this one, so 4 seems to be quite ok - I'm going to read at least the next book in the series.
It's easy to read, goes at a fast pace, and the characters are sympathetic (while most of them are criminals and/or losers). The main character is a petty criminal from earth with a big mouth that gets him constantly into trouble (think Jim Carrey characters). He is in a somewhat similar situation as Arthur Dent (unexpectly far in space, while the earth is destroyed - most people at least), but there the similarity ends. It did remind me a bit of Galaxy Quest and something else I can't remember...
His crew are the wolf-girl, the cyborg, the unsecure military pilot (who is blue), and a green blob. They are constanctly bickering, but somehow get things done. If that reminds you of something else - you are welcome.
In short, a rather funny and sympathetic story, nothing deep or philosophical there, but somewhat heart-warming. Recommended for a read on a free day or evening.

alwaysreminiscent's review

I got this book on sale from Amazon and started it on a whim. From the get go, it sucked me in. I really enjoyed it! My sense of humor definitely enjoys snark and sarcasm and Cal is full of both. I must say it was as funny as I was hoping it would be but that doesn’t mean I didn’t still enjoy it. It was a quick fun read and threw you into a new space world without the bulk that so many space novels have which was great. I’m looking forward to reading the rest of the series. Also, the way it ends give me Expanse series vibes, not quite the same but definitely a team of people (or space aliens) who don’t really belong anywhere running around space.

wingedpotato's review

4.5 Stars Funny and fun and fast—and just about nothing else, but that's okay!