Reviews tagging Confinement

내 휴식과 이완의 해, by Ottessa Moshfegh

cimmalex's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional sad tense slow-paced
The worst book I’ve read in my adult life. It is shocking to me how this book is raved about, and how horrible it ended up being. My favorite part was the ending, but not because the book was over. The ending was also the saddest part of the entire book. I would’ve opted to not finish it, but I felt like I had to. I’m sorry I wasted the time. The audiobook narrator was insufferable too

wiktoriapiet's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective sad fast-paced

erikazn's review against another edition

dark reflective sad medium-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A

Not bad. Not good. Could be more insightful. It’s overall effect is unremarkable.

avocadotoastbee's review against another edition

dark reflective medium-paced

I absolutely loved the book!  couldn't put the book down, even though it became predictable at the end.
The plot was bizarre, but comforting as it was about a woman who hibernates for a year. The main character does what I, being the lazy person that I am, have always wanted to do - sleep my life away. Overall, the nameless narrator and all the other characters are not likable. They are all in their own way flawed. This gives the reader the distance needed to focus on what is happening. And even though the plot description makes it sound like nothing much happens, the story does take some eventful turns. My Year of Rest and Relaxation portrays depression and society at the turn of the century/early 2000s accurately. But it was not entirely depressing to read. At times it was even funny.
All in all, I really enjoyed My Year of Rest and Relaxation and would read it again.

kt2e56's review against another edition

dark fast-paced

Ugh. First of all, it’s not hard to “get” what’s happening with this book. Just like American Psycho, which this book reminded me of quite a bit, My Year of Rest & Relaxation is unbelievably shallow. So me not liking it doesn’t mean it went over my head. I just didn’t like the book.

I know the author has been on a crusade about how it’s sexist to not like a book with unlikable female characters but it’s not that I don’t like books about unlikable women, I like well-written books about unlikable women. The nameless main character is boring. She just is. She’s racist and nasty and cruel but above all, just so fucking boring. And the author is boring. We get it: somehow despite not showering for weeks, having crusted up eyes, toothpaste all over her face, and god knows what else…everyone is bending over backwards to let the main character know that she’s still just so beautiful and perfect and nobody could ever be thinner or prettier. My god. Find something less cliche.

What was I’m assuming supposed to be some big shocking reveal at the end about Reva dying in 9/11, I literally predicted when I was 22% of the way into the book. So not really that shocking. Just another cliched attempt at controversy.

I did give this one whole extra star for the spot on critiques about the art world. I thought that was genuinely funny and satirical. Ditto for the author’s description of Long Island (I live one town over from Farmingdale in Massapequa. Lol.) which I found pretty funny. Otherwise? Meh. I don’t take Infermiterol but I’m sure I’ll forget this book in three days.

lqne's review against another edition

challenging reflective medium-paced

whitenoiz's review against another edition

dark funny reflective slow-paced

licipok's review against another edition

dark reflective sad fast-paced

ellislilylovestoread's review against another edition

dark reflective fast-paced

jo_lzr's review against another edition

dark emotional sad tense medium-paced