Reviews tagging 'Antisemitism'

내 휴식과 이완의 해, by Ottessa Moshfegh

hannibanani29's review against another edition

dark reflective medium-paced

sinnergrrl's review against another edition

challenging dark funny tense slow-paced

An issue that surrounds this novel is the public perception of it. Seeing young girls post on social media how they relate to the main character (and how humorous and glamorous they find that) is… sad?

It has been aestheticised and with that, glamorised. It’s cruelly ironic.

Admittedly, as I only really saw this troubled perspective on the novel, I struggled to connect to it at all. But upon reading reviews that mention the authors sardonic intentions with the book, I’ve come to think it a great take on privilege and the ridiculousness of it.

bookbabe0614's review against another edition

reflective fast-paced

This book pointless. There’s no universe where I would read this book again, it was so repetitive I found myself just saying blah blah blah to fill in for certain paragraphs. If you’re still considering reading the book let me give you a recap: rich girl hates her parents they died, she wants to sleep for a year so she goes to the absolute worst psychiatrist in all of New York City, she bullies her friend for being Jewish & bulimic. Then said friend died in 911 which was an ending I saw coming within the first hundred pages. Writing was OK.

g_monaghan's review against another edition

challenging sad slow-paced

Interesting concept, dark humour and an obsession with embracing oblivion.

I would rate this book higher if it was not incredibly triggering for mental illness and ED

kaiyakeiko's review against another edition

dark slow-paced

1.5

The main character is an unlikable, racist, ableist, classist, every-ist, person.

utuisuus's review against another edition

dark slow-paced

honestly what

imrereads's review against another edition

I just couldn't find it in me to care after one to many lines or fat shaming, antisemitism, and homophobia.

tscheezy's review against another edition

reflective slow-paced

mermaidsherbet's review against another edition

dark emotional funny hopeful medium-paced

tigerlily800's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective slow-paced

This was like watching a car crash in slow motion, I couldn't stop reading but I didn't want to see the seemingly inevitable end. Do not take my 5 star rating as me liking the book, I hated it and the characters but the story and writing were so captivating I couldn't put it down.

Please do not skip reading through content warnings associated with this book, it has more than I've ever seen in a single piece of media: eating disorders, addiction, death of a parent, suicide, mental illness, abortion, depression, sexual assault mention, drug abuse, use of the r-slur, animal abuse, abortion, toxic friendship and relationship, terminal illness, alcoholism, and mention of terrorism and 9/11.

I'll be honest, I didn't like the book. The characters were unlikeable, they were self destructive and honestly didn't seem to grow much. I don't consider myself particularly sensitive, but I almost had to DNF after the first quarter of the book. The speaker is crude, harsh and to the point. A beautiful, rich, blonde white girl living in NYC in 2000, who doesn't need to work to pay her bills and squanders all the privilege she has. I could not understand why this book had been so highly recommended, but as I read more I couldn't stop. I had to know just how far she would fall.

The plot was non-existent, but for once this is not a negative. We heard the story as the speaker experienced it: through a haze, with missing pieces and overlooked details. The speaker experienced the world through such a harsh, pessimistic lense. She hated everything and everyone around her but didn't care enough

This was a refreshing take on depression. As someone who has long suffered from depression, the description of the speaker's reality felt real and recognizable. I understood why she wanted a year of hibernation, I just don't have the privilege to do the same. It was refreshing in the sense that the goal of the plot wasn't her recovery. There wasn't a goal for the plot, no big crescendo or peak. This is a book that reads like a diary, with wandering thoughts and missing sections of time.