Iron and Magic by Ilona Andrews

thinkingbookishthoughts's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

breanne's review against another edition

slow-paced

elenajohansen's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced

One of the more believable haters-to-lovers plots that I've read--I can't call Hugh and Elara enemies in the usual context, because they're clearly not and in this setting that word does actually mean literal enemies. But they infuriate each other brilliantly from the moment they meet and go through a great deal of consternation before they realize their attraction, and eventually, some affection.

Though it's not clearly love yet, and I look forward to this series continuing (someday, IA always has so many concurrent series going waiting for the next installment of a specific one can feel like forever.)

The only thing that bothered me overall was that I couldn't place Elara as either an entirely new character or a returning minor one getting her own story; this is a personal gripe because of my memory issues, but even beyond my wonky brain, the main Kate Daniels series is ten books long and has a huge supporting cast. Without specifically looking it up (which I haven't yet) I couldn't remember if we'd met her before; she felt like someone who had showed up briefly at some point, but then in this book she seemed completely unfamiliar with the events Hugh related to her about his past and about Kate specifically, and if Elara doesn't know Kate, then it's not likely she was ever in the main series, since it's told from Kate's personal POV. I suppose the White Warlock could have been mentioned but didn't appear directly, which would account for the vague sense I had that I should know her already.

alikatson's review

4.25 stars! Despite rocky start I ended up loving the book.

Full(er) review to come after listening to the audio (Steve West, squeeee!) - I'm pretty sure I will be in love with Hugh after listening to his narration.

jesslynh's review

Ilona Andrews is on my auto-buy list, but my enthusiasm for this story was a bit weak. More fool me. These two could make a great story out of my grocery list. I won't doubt them again and really looking forward to more of the story. I'm also dying to hear the audiobook when released. Renee does a great job on the other series and I have high hopes for this one as well.

scarr77's review

Well I'm a ho for Hugh.

silverwizzard's review against another edition

Not expecting to like this so much. Used to hate Hugh character but really liked how he developed here. Also since this is the first book in the series,still lots of banter and expectation in the relationship. Looking forward for more.

Needed to finish this quick before continuing with Magic Triumphs.

witchylevy's review against another edition

In Kate's series I hated Hugh. In this book getting a glimpse of his thoughts makes him more understandable. Elara is freaking awesome. She's strong, caring, and has a mean/ sarcastic streak. The sniping is hilarious and gives the relationship character.

origamy's review against another edition

adventurous emotional medium-paced

Loved seeing the flipside of things with Hugh's perspective and seeing how he really is as a person away from Kate. The relationship between him and Elara was great and I'm really interested in seeing how it develops. Speaking of Elara, I need to know what she is because damn. Really interesting side characters and just seeing the KD world from other perspectives outside of Atlanta was great.

taranaimc's review against another edition

adventurous tense medium-paced