Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman

celine_nz's review against another edition

4.5/5

Godamn I love Neil Gaiman

jjecsy's review

adventurous dark fast-paced

sierranevada005's review

My next Neil Gaiman adventure! Thank you to my lovely friend Claire for recommending this one. I had such an amazing time with this one. It had my absolute favorite aspects of every Neil Gaiman book I've read so far. The perfect blend of mystery, magic, dark humor, and a sprinkling of horror. Fun, quirky characters, and a twisting and turning plot. Just a *chefs kiss*!!

kerryanndunn's review against another edition

October 2017 Review: I've always loved this book and the illustrations by Chris Riddell in this new edition just enhance that love. I love every character, even the bad guys. They are all so well written, unique, entirely themselves. Neil Gaiman is magic.

September 2020 Review: "All was silent. All was empty. Dead autumn leaves blew across the forecourt, a flurry of yellow and ocher and brown, a sudden burst of muted color in the dim light."

I seem to always reread this book in the autumn months, and it's so perfect for it. Is this my favorite Neil Gaiman novel? Perhaps. My love for Neil is like my love for Jane Austen. Whatever book of his I've read most recently is my favorite. In this book he does some magically supreme world building with his mystically dangerous London Below. There are some genuinely terrifying moments in this book, but it's also exciting and brilliant and original. I've read this book enough that these characters feel like friends. And some of them, enemies. I hope one day Neil Gaiman writes another book about London Below. The stories about it must be endless, but only he can tell them.

mk_loisirs's review against another edition

What a wonderfully vivid, surreal book. I don’t really have much to say other than I need to read more Neil Gaiman books. This has such a unique fantastical quality that I’ve not read before. As I read all I kept thinking of what a strange Alice in Wonderland rewrite this is…it was so good.

The characters were each so unique and incredibly fun or terrifying or both.

I wish there was more books set in this world! Maybe there will be eventually.

itsanoctopus's review against another edition

adventurous dark funny lighthearted fast-paced

snowbenton's review against another edition

Richard Mayhew, a man with no friends and a terrible fiancee, helps a girl from an otherworldly London and finds himself trapped there with no way home. The plot meanders aimlessly from Richard's dull life to Door(the girl he helped)'s sad one and back again, occasionally incorporating torture, crime, vaguely immortal beings, angels, and other parallel universe problems. The lack of plot is exacerbated by a lack of description of the other London that results in London Below seeming impossibly dull and grey as if it were a math textbook viewed through several sheer scarves. The characters all just plod along with no real shape or distinct personalities. If not for the occasional interjection of his trademark oddball sarcasm, I would be hard-pressed to believe this was Neil Gaiman.

ivilla1225's review against another edition

Will continue later

readingjax's review against another edition

I am officially a Gaiman fan.

kr_gr's review against another edition

eh, i'll get back to it sometime. probably.