poke_it's review

adventurous funny lighthearted fast-paced

daumari's review

Unsurprisingly, Bourdain's written voice is just as snarky as his television persona (probably because they're the same, herp derp. I should not be writing reviews when low on sleep). When I was reading this, coworkers wondered if I was interested in cooking/becoming a chef. Nope, not really- I just enjoy reading clever snark, though this was an informative peek behind the kitchen doors. The restaurant business is probably less drug-riddled than his earlier days, but the mad weekend rush is probably still a Thing.

There's also the irony in lambasting celebrity chefs while becoming one because of this book, but based on Bourdain's AMA I don't think he's changed too much in the transition.

tendermarimo's review against another edition

funny lighthearted reflective fast-paced

jademb's review

funny informative inspiring medium-paced

dingbatlikescomics's review against another edition

adventurous funny reflective fast-paced

bhnmt61's review

Since I've never even walked in to a busy restaurant kitchen, it was astonishing to me to read how it works. It's probably my own ignorance that has me surprised that someone who is such a talented chef can also be a good--really good-- writer. Truly fascinating, and poignant given Bourdain's suicide earlier this year. There is a chapter where he deals matter-of-fact-ly with another cook's suicide which brings up so many questions about what he was thinking at the time of his own death. But this book was published in 2000, so there are no answers here (at least, none that were apparent to me). What there is, is a colorful, often profane, always interesting look at the life of a chef. I knocked off a star because there were several moments when I found myself skimming over what seemed like an excess of words, but really this is a great read.

megabooks's review against another edition

funny informative reflective fast-paced

nn93's review

challenging funny hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted reflective medium-paced

sterrenkijker's review against another edition

some parts of this book are INCREDIBLY depressing in hindsight

neosupernova's review against another edition

adventurous funny reflective fast-paced