Reviews tagging Murder

Book of Night, by Holly Black

hello_linzie's review

adventurous dark sad slow-paced

micheala's review against another edition

So once again, this book has an unlikable main character which is not really my preference. The plot concept was interesting, however it took about 50% before it started to feel like things were actually happening.

This is set in an alternative, magical USA in modern time. I would say that this is urban fantasy (but not Urban Fantasy - the romance is definitely a small side plot point rather than being about 50% of the plot). I wasn't a huge fan of the writing style, I felt like things were overly discribed (not always but on a reoccurring basis).

This is the author's first adult novel. I've previously read the Spiderwick Chronicles (many years ago) and DNF'd The Coldest Girl in Cold Town, so I'm not sure if the writing style is the same as their YA novels.

Everything indicates that this is a standalone, however if it remains so, it has a very unsatisfactory ending. I'm not sure if I liked this book enough to want to read a sequel, so I probably won't be keeping an eye out to see if it does continue.

Overall, this book was fine, but very middle of the road for me.

eepemma's review

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

maregred's review

adventurous challenging dark mysterious slow-paced

nartes's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

eimearo_c's review

adventurous dark emotional medium-paced

mitrosec's review

dark reflective tense medium-paced

I love Holly Black to death and I think that her biggest strengths are focusing her books around a great heroine. Anyone reading this book (or any of her books) for romance will not get what they are looking for.
 I am excited to see where she takes this character in future novels. I was genuinely shocked by the twist at the end. Another one of Holly’s strong suits is  giving her readers little truths so that they think they have it all figured out, but at the right moment… she pulls the rug out and you are left speechless.
 The new world Holly created in this book was hard to get used to at first. After a while I got used to it. This book got a 3.5 from me because I felt as though it was missing so much. Her relationship with her sister felt underdeveloped along with several other things i cannot place.

lolamosk's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

thoughtsontomes's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

I wasn't a huge fan of TCP, so I didn't go into this with any expectations but was hoping to like this more than her other work. I find that Holly Black's writing style doesn't really work for me. She has some cool worlds and magic systems, but under-develops them. Her writing style is lacking and leaves me wanting more. Side characters don't feel very fleshed out. And Charlie as a main character felt a little heavy handed with the morally grey thief thing which has become a little overdone these days. I did really enjoy Vince as a character though and would have almost preferred more from his POV. Some of the mystery elements were also compelling, even if I figured a few of them out beforehand. I'm also a bit annoyed that the ending makes this obvious that it's at least going to be a duology but was not marketed as such - which is kind of annoying when it's a cliffhanger ending.

katvou's review against another edition

dark mysterious slow-paced