Lowcountry Boil, by Susan M. Boyer

monster_ma_x_3's review

I feel very meh about this book. I felt like I *could* like the characters, but they each had just a bit too much about them that was wrong or off in some way. The main character is amazingly wishy washy, and even more germaphobic than I am... which is saying something. The number of times she needed to pull out her hand sanitizer bypassed eccentric and went straight to annoying. Also, to be such an independent woman, one with a successful business, she was very co-dependent and needy. And her partner's travel trouble? Yeah, way beyond the bounds of plausible. Anyone who would hop on a plane for me in my time of trouble would also rent a car and drive to get to me if necessary. Just saying...

mjqueen's review

I won this book in a Facebook giveaway in the Your Book Escape by the author, [a:Susan M. Boyer|5895680|Susan M. Boyer|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1491761532p2/5895680.jpg].

When starting this book I had it in my head that this was a "cozy" mystery. It is and it isn't. It is cozy in that it a Christian-based book so the mystery is not gory or written out in detail making you wish you didn't know how the victim may have suffered. It is not cozy in that I didn't have a "whodunnit" guess within the first couple of chapters which happens about 90% of the time when I read a traditional cozy mystery. This really boosted the likeability of [b:Lowcountry Boil|18044412|Lowcountry Boil (A Liz Talbot Mystery, #1)|Susan M. Boyer|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1370568299l/18044412._SY75_.jpg|19698666] for me. I also love the characters in this book so much that it kind of surprised me. Liz is, simultaneously, many women I know and unlike anyone I've ever met before. I don't know how else to describe the mastery of Ms. Boyer's character development isn't something I come across often but especially not book that are not deemed "Literary Fiction". I'm happy to have been given the opportunity to get to know Liz, Nate, Blake, and my personal favorite, Colleen. I'm excited to have a new source of comfortable mystery and another author I can come to when I need good mystery with some romance (I hope there is something more between two characters in particular) and a storyline that will interest me but also not keep me up with "what if" rabbit hole thoughts.

c0reyann's review

I've been on a cozy mystery kick lately and saw this series recommended in a group and thought I'd give it a whirl.

I really thought it was a quick, easy read that was also entertaining. Sure it's not super gritty but it was fast paced enough to keep me interested and fit the bill of what I was looking for - something to take me away from a dull boring book I was trying to sludge through.

I recommend this to anyone looking for a quick mystery to pick up!

mbrevesz's review

I liked the idea of this book more than the actual book. The characters are interesting and I liked the idea of her best friend visiting her as a ghost, but the mystery has more holes than a piece of swiss cheese. I didn't like how all the characters that Liz would have an ongoing conflict with ended up part of the murder conspiracy. I might check out other books in the series to see if the plotting gets better, but maybe not.

mercyblue's review against another edition

While I really wanted to enjoy this novel, at 46% I find that I just can't read it anymore. While the main character Liz is likable enough some of the other characters are just downright annoying. Her sister Merry for one comes across as a compulsive liar and manipulator, getting Liz to do things by outright lying to her face about her intentions. Then there's her overprotective chief of police brother, Blake who seems to think that Liz can't protect herself even though she's a licensed PI and carries a sig sauer. But also not to be forgotten, is Liz's lust towards her ex-boyfriend Michael who is married to Lizs' 'arch nemesis' Marci. Then as the cherry on top there's the whole, 'the ghost of my best friend is now following me around for some reason I can't fathom' subplot. It was all just a little... TOO MUCH. The plot to this novel needs some serious thinning out and because of that it became a DNF for me. There's no way I'm picking up the next in this series.

smcwhorter's review

funny lighthearted mysterious fast-paced

dvallee's review

One of the better cozies I've read in a while. Will continue with series.

kc1005us's review against another edition

Nice new series, found book on Hoopla

cindyhatok's review against another edition

Great Story

Loved it! Very funny with lots of mystery! Can't wait for the next book! Liz is amazing and Colleen provides some humor!

clak5686's review against another edition

dark funny fast-paced

I loved the first book in this series. I am familiar with Greenville and Charleston and it was fun to read about the area. The author gets the south and the eccentric folks that live there. Liz Talbot goes home to the South Carolina island where she grew up. She inherits her grandmothers beach house and finds that she has been murdered. She's been working as a PI in Greenville with her partner, Nate. So, of course, she decides to find out who killed her grandmother. It is a twisty tale of ex-lovers, ex-husbands and so much more. There is a supernatural component to the story that I really enjoyed. There is humor but it is a dark tale. I can't wait to read the next in the series.