Dark Angel by John Sandford

rembrandt1881's review

Up until almost the end I thought this could be a solid 4 but as it wrapped up, and especially the unnecessary epilogue, it went down for me.

John Sandford can create some decent characters with some interesting style about them. A story can move from point to point without too much issue and the plots are nevertoo complicated from the few I have experienced. That's both the good thing and the flaw.

I am a huge Reacher fan and these books might be the closest except for there really isn't too much mystery to solve. The story moves from point to point and Letty and her associates are probably a bit too competent the entire time. Things just work out the right way constantly. She is able to charm her way through, shoot her way through and even when some minor roadblock pops up, use her connections so that everything works out.

I'm not the person who enjoys the modern world coming into these novels either but I guess some things make sense... I'd rather it be more background and this one gets current events embedded into the plot.

The final issue was the epilogue. It's not really but it happens after all of the main action and it just seems to serve as a gun ad. It is literally 5 little scenes or vignettes that serve to remind you that Letty likes guns and maybe to remind us that guns have a place. It's a tad excessive even though I expect guns to be in this kind of book. Gun ownership actually plays a part in the early set up as well and there are some other little things that make sense in the story, but taken with the ending are a little bit on the nose. I get it, I'm fine with her loving guns, but you don't need the last few paragraphs that are in the book.

Overall it's fine fodder. You don't ever have to really think about what's going on it just happens and that's fine when you just need something.

carrielucas's review

adventurous tense slow-paced
Finished out of spite. Feels like John Sandford has never met a woman. Aggressively American. Do not recommend.

lynguy1's review

John Sanford brings investigation, suspense, and plenty of action to the second book in the Letty Davenport series. Letty has had an unconventional, tragic, and violent childhood. Her adoption by Lucas Davenport, the protagonist in the author’s Prey series, has led to a much happier life. She’s now twenty-five, a graduate of Stanford, and an investigator for inspector general of the Department of Homeland Security. However, her real boss is Senator Christopher Colles.

The events in book one of the series has brought her to the attention of several branches of the U.S. government. A joint operation between the Department of Homeland Security and the National Security Agency seems perfect. Along with a reluctant government computer programmer, Rod Baxter, Letty is asked to infiltrate a hacker group. While they work to uncover the plans of the hacker group, Letty and Rod believe they’ve been lied to about the mission.

Letty is smart and determined, with a somewhat warped sense of humor and a tendency to be rash at times. She also takes after Lucas in several ways including her proficiency and knowledge of guns and her love of fashion. Rod is somewhat stereotyped in the beginning of the novel. He’s characterized as cowardly, intelligent, and slovenly. However, he is the character who experiences the most dramatic changes in attitude and outlook as the story unfolds.

The story is part undercover investigation and part action thriller. The opening chapter is memorable, but it isn’t part of the main storyline. However, it does give some insight into the types of missions Letty has been given lately, and it gives some insight into her personal life. This personal insight is needed to make Letty more relatable. Additionally, it is a way to introduce some new characters into the series.

Sandford’s writing is always great. It is fluid and flows well, and his world-building is fantastic. There is a strong sense of place causing me to feel transported to California. He’s a superb storyteller who kept me on the edge of my seat as the undercover operation and action unfolded. The final action scenes are riveting and hauntingly memorable. It is very relevant and has a terrifying realism to it. I also liked the fact that Letty was learning from others during the course of the novel, which made her more realistic and slightly less of a larger-than-life over-the-top protagonist. Themes include violence, murder, espionage, hacking, theft, and much more. The novel also highlights the complexity of international and national politics and government activities.

Overall, this was suspenseful and action packed with compelling characters that kept me turning the pages. With exciting scenes and a fascinating story, it captivated me. I’m looking forward to reading more about Letty and her future assignments.

PENGUIN GROUP Putnam, G.P. Putnam's Sons and John Sandford provided a complimentary digital ARC of this novel via NetGalley. All opinions expressed in this review are my own. The publication date is currently set for April 11, 2023. This review was originally posted at Mystery and Suspense Magazine.
----------------------------------------
My 4.12 rounded to 4 stars review is coming soon.

tashasmama's review

I found it slow and a little lackluster.

jgibowski's review

adventurous mysterious tense medium-paced

jencook29's review

adventurous

stinkysteps's review

adventurous challenging mysterious tense fast-paced

scott_a_miller's review

adventurous dark funny hopeful informative inspiring mysterious tense fast-paced

5 Stars. Sanford is just plain great. Never fails. Lucas is Lucas but Letty is definitely becoming a force of her own. This was a true thriller. The story was compelling. Feeling as though it could have been completely real. This crew is developing into one that can give Virgil and Lucas’ group all they can handle. I only wish Sanford started writing Letty stand alone’s sooner. I think the next Lucas book is actually a Lucas and Letty book. Inject it into my veins.

hehthur's review

adventurous dark emotional funny hopeful mysterious medium-paced

joelletribbiani's review against another edition

adventurous informative tense fast-paced