Pleasure Activism: The Politics of Feeling Good, by adrienne maree brown

lostwaterbottle's review against another edition

challenging emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

This book is incredible. It mixes stories, theory writing, and reflection to show the many facets of pleasure activism. I’ve never read such breadth  of perspectives and human stories. Adrienne Maree Brown is brilliant, experienced, and shares herself in a way that feels like talking to a good friend.

Pleasure is the goal of life, it’s meant to feel good and working for liberation should feel good. Her theory draws strongly on a history of black feminist theory, especially Audre Lorde’s Uses Of The Erotic. I loved that this wasn’t only a manifesto, but an anthology and a how to guide. I genuinely believe that reading this book and practicing pleasure activism would make us all better people.

prideandjoybooks's review

Challenging and expansive - I really appreciate how multifaceted the pleasure practices shared in this book are.

strawbrey's review

I've been reading this on and off for a year and a half!! I loved this, I can't say every essay was my favorite, but it made me interrogate my relationship to pleasure and eroticism and making work joyful. amb brought so many dimensions of pleasure to life in it and I'm sure many of these essays will come to mind as I continue moving through the world and experiencing more life & work & pleasure.

karenhessing's review

funny informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

mkdjoum's review against another edition

emotional informative slow-paced

joanaprneves's review

challenging emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring medium-paced

This book covers a range of subjects around the theme of pleasure as an empowering self-accepting tool. This is a book I will continue reading as it has a lot of information from a community of people around the author who engage in activities / thoughts / paths that are new or not as familiar to me as others. For instance, there is talk about black queerness, fat shaming and fat phobia, BDSM, recreational drugs and somatic therapy which are enlightening and not treated in the two usual ways, which are ultra-capitalist consumerism and ensuing guilt trips, or with a christian backdrop of right or wrong. This is a new generation of mostly American thinkers who are looking for new ways to heal trauma and to build positive pleasure, as opposed to pleasure as a way to fill a void. It is an empowering and challenging book - the talks about drugs make me feel queazy, but they are important to pay attention to, especially now that doctors and researchers are finding healing powers in them, especially connected with therapy.
It would be difficult to list all the themes and approaches, and it is far better for the reader to find out about them, but I am especially interested in pleasure as power, and a new way to think about after hedonists and philosophers in general failed miserably to address it. Pleasure is such an interesting concept! And state! How do the authors and their guests talk about it in terms of its fleetingness? How do they experiment with it? How do they build a philosophy from it? These are the questions I asked myself, and I keep going back for more.
The writing is at times light and colloquial, but always engaging and stimulating, perhaps because of its apparent simplicity. The kind of writing is varied: there are essays, interviews, diary entries. Therefore, it makes for an exciting reading time.

rocomama's review against another edition

funny hopeful informative inspiring reflective fast-paced

hereistheend's review

I really dig this book and the way each essay comes at pleasure from a different point of view. I do wish it had pressed deeper into pleasure that isn’t mostly via sex and drugs; I hadn’t expected this, from the subtitle “The Politics of Feeling Good.” I feel like there’s so much more to say that could have been said. This is good, but not what I’d hoped for.

chocokatet's review

This is an interesting set of essays, interviews, and art/poetry all about how to better foster pleasure in our lives. I wish I had read this when I was younger because it has such a healthy and open way to look at relationships and sex. At times, the organization broke up the flow of reading for me, but overall a good read.

aiyam's review

challenging emotional informative reflective slow-paced