Soulless, by Gail Carriger

victoriad702's review

paranormalauren's review against another edition

My first go at the steampunk genre! Really loved this world where supernatural creatures coexist quite comfortably with the mortal population of Victorian England. Lots of fun and a little bit steamy. I can see myself finishing this series EASILY.

rellwood74's review against another edition

This was a light paranormal/steampunk/Victorian mash up genre book that at heart is a historical romance with werewolves, vampires and other paranormal elements. No hassles, no angst. Just what I needed to get me back into a book binge.

heykellyjensen's review against another edition

I just couldn't do it. It was cute, and there were good parts, but on the whole it was mots. And I didn't care about Alexia much.

katiemulcahy122's review against another edition

This was delightful. I didn't have any real expectations, but everything was a fun surprise. Fast, witty, and full of secrets.

rogue_runner's review against another edition

Clearly, Victorian fantasy (steampunk or otherwise) is currently my jam. The fact that I chewed through this in 3 days speaks for how good it was, I think!

I'm not really one for vampire and werewolf novels (I think I've touched one since the whole Twilight thing went down... shudder), but this was actually not too bad. I liked how feral the werewolves were, Lord Maccon in particular. There was an obvious danger when he or the other werewolves were out of control, with no way to stop it. Lord Akeldama was also fabulous as a vampire- I enjoyed how much he longed for Alexia's touch to make him human throughout the book.
Alexia herself was awesome; very opinionated and smart, and obviously a little out of her depth just at the right moments.

There wasn't loads of steampunk in this (the odd dirigible, a fancy parasol, a little science at the end), but it seemed to fit alright with the world. The plot is fairly standard and predictable, but there's enough wit and pace behind it to keep going. And a couple of very smoky scenes.

lenka_v's review against another edition

Can´t wait to read more!

wordboydave's review against another edition

Romance I can actually handle, because it's mostly hilarious. Really well done clean through. Try her out! I was very pleasantly surprised.

egelantier's review against another edition

victorian romance mystery with vampires and werewolves and a determined, feisty spinster making her hard-stomping way through both romancing and sleuthing. that was a weird reading experience, because, on one hand, i definitely enjoyed it - it's fast-paced, funny and cute, and the worldbuilding is quirky in a logically correct way (why shouldn't a young lady stay unchaperoned? because a vampire might prey on her, that's why!).

but on other hand, i'm probably not continuing with the series, because the writing style just - struck me as trying too hard, every phrase just over-constructed enough so it'd be both noticeable and uncomfortable. what comes off naturally in heyer novels just sticks out and ridges every other way here. ymmv, obviously, varies - it's still a book worth checking out, if you're into these tropes.

witchykitkat's review against another edition

Listening to this on audio book was such a delight, Emily Gray does such a wonderful job narrating all the characters and really bringing them to life. I tend to have trouble staying focused while listening to fiction through audio books but I had no such issue with this book! The characters are equally interesting and I loved the way the plot unfolded. Alexia is exactly the type of female character I’m drawn to; she’s opinionated, resourceful and prone to shenanigans. She’s unconcerned with doing what’s right or proper, and all about being useful which was a great contrast to the other non-supernatural female characters that show up in the book. Ivy Hisselpenny (which is a FANTASTIC name) is a really great example of this and I can’t wait to see how she grows and develops throughout the series! Lord Maccon’s never-ending frustration and admiration for Alexia and her antics is so dang endearing, I loved the way the narrated really accentuated how he says her name when he’s exasperated by her, it’s a really nice touch! And then of course there’s Lord Akeldama, who can only be described as ~Fabulous~ and is probably my favourite character after Alexia.

The society is what really brings to life the plot, in that vampires, werewolves and humans have found a way to coexist somewhat harmoniously and even have their own roles in government, at least in London. I loved hearing about the different hives of vampires and hierarchies within them and could read a whole book just on the histories of the vampire hives and their respective Vampire Queen. And then of course you have the werewolf packs led by their Alphas, who seem to have close ties to the British military which is very interesting. All of this comes together to create the main plot of the story; someone is doing weird and dark things with lone vampires and and werewolves and it’s wreaking havoc on the balances of power present in this London. It’s a really well done story and I genuinely didn’t see the twist at the end coming, always nice being pleasantly surprised!