Swirl by Swirl: Spirals in Nature, by Joyce Sidman, Beth Krommes

toad_maiden's review against another edition

Wow, what a splendid book. The perfect child-level marriage of science and aesthetics. Also, the scratchboard-style illustrations are stunning. I especially like the search-and-find aspect of this book; there are little spirals hidden everywhere. A great introduction to certain biological and mathematical principles (hibernation, defense mechanisms, geometry and the Fibonacci sequence) through the wonder of patterns and shapes.

heisereads's review against another edition

Intriguing concept for a book. There is much more to this book than it appears at first glance. I think the true depth lies in investigating the illustrations to find all of the swirls that the text is referring to.

maidmarianlib's review against another edition

The illustrations have great depth but are often confusing but the information is fun and well presented.

what_katie_read_in_ca's review against another edition

Love Joyce Sidman's illustrations!

memawls's review against another edition

Beautiful illustrations and very informative.

ehawk's review

informative lighthearted

beecheralyson's review against another edition

Gorgeous illustrations and Sidman's poetry. Would be great to add to any collection.

veganemelda's review

Beautiful illustrations, the kids thought the text was fun and asked for another reading.

sandyd's review

I think this is intended for a somewhat younger audience than Sidman's previous work. It was beautiful and elegant and all that I've come to expect from Sidman, but I wanted something a little meatier. How about some poems for a YA audience? :-)

nce14210's review

Beautiful illustrations. Nicely done!