On the Come Up, by Angie Thomas

emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

karina_dreamsinwords's review

Simply a masterpiece.

geekywoman14's review

Even better than the first book

zoe_seleznava's review

funny inspiring medium-paced

alyssareadsbooks's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

emlavender's review against another edition

I had very mixed feelings going in because it felt quite similar to The Hate You Give, and I wasn’t sure how rapping really translated into book form. I needn’t have doubted it though because it was amazing and I ended up really loving the families and friendships that were shown throughout. The overall message was important and I’m glad I continued reading!
4.5 stars!

julianaearle's review

4.7*

mugglethatreads's review

Angie Thomas has done it again. My expectations were already high going into this book but it exceeded them all.

This book was educational and inspiring and will probably be one of my favourite books this year. I really enjoyed the themes of family and friendship and being true to yourself. I also really enjoyed reading Bri's thought process as she comes up with her raps.

I really, really enjoyed this book. Do yourself a favour and read it.

eliebooks's review against another edition

I wanted to read more by Angie Thomas after loving THUG

peppermintnplottwists's review

I am in love with this right now. Angie Thomas did it again. She knows how to write those powerful chatacters you can't help but to fall in love with. Bri is just 16 years old when she gets her first shot in the ring. After that she put out her first song, which gets hyped up, but for all the wrong reasons. People take her words at face value and don't understand what she really meant. Now Bri is still trying to find her voice to make it as a rapper, but not for who she isn't. She wants to be Bri and everything that goes along with it.