portablebunbun's review

hopeful informative inspiring reflective slow-paced

I initially didn't like the tone of the book but it really grew on me. I read this in short bursts since there was a lot to reflect on in the pockets of text. There were parts where I found myself equally frustrated as the Youth but soon came to an understanding after further explanation.

This book is perfect for people who are emotionally stuck in their life, caged in by their own arbitrary rules and expectations. Out of the few self help books I've read so far, this one has reframed my life the most. I'll be carrying the lesson of separating tasks for a long time.

karan_w's review

hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

filza_'s review

challenging emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective slow-paced

jackm316's review against another edition

I struggled…

Couldn’t get into the style (particularly the youth and their reactionary behaviours) and couldn’t get comfortable with the way the book tackled highly sensitive issues.

The author lays a blame game and I can completely envisage people struggling with anxiety and depression coming out of this read feeling worse. Illustratively, the narrator suggests there is no such thing as trauma and we manufacture it so we don’t have to move forwards. We create our own fears and insecurities to avoid pushing beyond our comfort zones. It draws on examples which are highly specific and thus are not completely transferable or relatable.

To give some balance to the review there were some interesting takeaways such as the goal setting conversations, freeing yourself from the desire for recognition from others and life as a sequence of dots (to name a few).

Perplexingly this does attract strong reviews so I feel there must be something I missed.

magdag's review

inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

audra_suzanne's review

reflective slow-paced

alissa28's review against another edition

Written as a conversation between student and philosopher.

jwalker's review against another edition

informative reflective medium-paced

experfectionist's review against another edition

I think the dismissal of trauma and self harm as minor or non-existent, meaningless things is harmful and unacceptable in today's age.

tschalk13's review against another edition