Reviews for Darius the Great Is Not Okay, by Adib Khorram

disasterbisexual's review against another edition

Man, I love this book. I'm so compelled by Darius' relationship with his father and the tenderness of his friendship with Sohrab. Darius' experiences with depression and adolescence ring true, and his emotional honesty as a narrator is astounding.

dvann93's review against another edition

A book featuring a complex, heart-wrenching father-son story, a nuanced portrayal of mental illness, and a beautiful friendship at its heart. A wonderful read!

awesomejen2's review against another edition

There is too much to say. This is honestly one of the best books I have ever read and this author deserves numerous awards and much praise. If you have the option I highly recommend you listen to the audiobook.

svetasunshine's review against another edition

I'm totally not crying right now... God, this book means so much to me. As someone with severe mental illnesses and who comes from multiple cultural backgrounds, I related a lot to Darius and really loved him as a character. I also really enjoyed learning more about Iran! Can't wait to re-read this book soon.

tinyphrases's review against another edition

Book #1 for the Asian Readathon! I read this in two days simply because I couldn't put it down, and because I felt so close to it. Being diagnosed with depression, more specifically dysthymia, last year, I truly felt like I knew Darius. Both on the mental health front, the way he both treated himself and is seen by others, but also on the "not quite one or the other". I'm Russian but I grew up in the Netherlands, raised by a single mum. Going back to Russia was traumatising because I was raised in a very different culture, under different circumstances. To my grandmum and her sister I was a bad kid, even if they loved me - not nearly Russian enough.

This just hit a chord and I loved it for that, but also for the writing and the flow of it, how the references felt less like an invasion and more just a part of how Darius makes sense of this mess of a world. HIGHLY recommend this!

rainyoctober's review against another edition

I WAS NOT OKAY.

woolpierogi's review against another edition

Genre: Coming-of-age stories; Realistic fiction
Themes: Being a friend; Dealing with mental illness
Storyline: Issue-oriented; Own voices
Tone: Bittersweet

cindypaul's review against another edition

Wow. This took me a few pages to get into and then I just... binged it in one sitting. This was great! Really great. I learned so much about Persian culture. But also about depression. And I even had myself a little cry at the end.

Please read this book, it's wonderful!

lydiahephzibah's review against another edition

I'm aware that I'm over-rating this but I'm ok with that. It's an 8/10 from me, even though realistically it's more of a 6/10. It's hard to explain. I loved some parts of this book - the descriptions of Iran were beautiful and I loved the soft potential between Darius and Sohrab, but on the flip side, I found Darius to be quite a flat, 2D character and the constant line breaks were irritating - it felt as though the author thought every line he wrote was very significant, when they really weren't. I did also notice a LOT of telling rather than showing. And yet this is 4/5 for me because it felt like a good representation of depression and I liked the family and Iran aspects. I did feel misled by reviews and such that led me to believe this was a bxb / Simon Vs kind of novel. It really isn't. There are hints that Darius is gay, but nothing is ever said outright, and while he seems to have feelings for Sohrab, there is no relationship here. I hope that develops in the sequel else it's possibly a bit queerbaity.