anayseregep's review

hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective relaxing fast-paced

efram's review against another edition

Ikigai's rate of perfect five stars displays how I will highly recommend it to each and every person I know whether the person is a reader or not. Determining our value in life is a question that most people will never grasp. With the help of this book, we might gain the slightest idea of how to fulfill an undefined purpose. A great number of today's generation are discontented with their life, this book might come beneficial for them.

The book's strength is its monumental shifting of perspective. Making a person determine what he loves, what he's good at, what he can be paid for, and what the world needs is valuable for the distracted and misplaced people of this generation. Interconnecting them all to find your Ikigai will lead to the realization of what's important for you and what's your value in life. Disinterest in Japanese culture is its weakness.

vanessa_issa's review against another edition

Many thanks to PENGUIN GROUP for the ARC via NetGalley!

I think the japanese culture is absolutely beautiful. We can all learn something from it, no matter where we are from. I admire the way they view life and how they deal with stress, sadness and complicated situations.

When I read books like this, I try my best to bring these lessons to my life, but it's not so easy - especially when everyone around me is living in a very crazy way, always in a hurry for something, always busy (not in a good way), always stressed, always putting too much energy in things that don't matter after all. Still, it's inspiring to learn so much from a different culture and to see how small changes can have a big impact in our lives.

"Our ikigai is hidden deep inside each of us, and finding it requires a patient search. In Japanese, ikigai is written as 生き甲斐, combining 生き, which means “life,” with 甲斐, which means “to be worthwhile. (...) It reminds us that both mind and body are important, and that the health of one is connected to that of the other.

Very nice read. I recommend it to those who are willing to make some changes in order to have a better life.

mindofaaronw's review against another edition

A great look into Eastern "self-help" and finding your purpose. This was my introduction into Eastern views on these topics and Ikigai was a good introduction.

Great takeaways about staying active, including examples (with photos) of the exercises. My favorite part was all the interviews conducted by the author's and the digests of those.

mirum's review against another edition

challenging informative inspiring lighthearted reflective medium-paced

my_bookish_world_'s review

hopeful informative inspiring relaxing

ckatied's review

informative inspiring medium-paced

mezmer's review

hopeful informative inspiring reflective relaxing fast-paced

effietrumpet's review against another edition

There's.. no secret.

It's just a bunch of principles of a healthy-ish lifestyle. Seemed more like the summary of an online search he might have done for himself. The principles themselves seem like good rules to follow, most of them I do already believe in, but I felt like he only touched upon the topics in a superficial way. They could have been dealt with in a much deeper sense, and helped the reader gain more out of them.

Tl;dr- the book seems too casual in its research and I find it hard to take it seriously, despite having potential.

wifistrokes's review