Birdman, by Mo Hayder

phouweling's review against another edition

My first acquaintance with Mo Hayder and the Jack Caffery series. What a morbid and thrilling story. The only thing that annoyed me were the many abbreviations.

airykah13's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

msameliee's review against another edition

adventurous dark medium-paced

angrygreycatreads's review against another edition

I picked up this book from the library because I had read about it on a book blog. The writer had said it was a really scary book. I don’t think I would call it scary in the sense of horror, which is what I thought they were referring to in the post. This is a thriller police crime novel. So understand it was not what I was expecting which of course was my fault, I should have read up about it before just picking it up on a whim.

After all that, the novel was well written and it definitely was a thriller and Detective Jack Caffery is certainly a good example of the “tragically flawed” protagonist. He keeps making mistakes in his personal life based on a traumatic event that occurred in his childhood and that he seems to keep reliving today. The villain was decidedly twisted and evil. Rebecca, as a love interest, is strong enough to fight jack Caffery’s demons and is an interesting character in her own right. The rest of the cast is rounded out by a other police personnel, prostitutes, an obsessive girlfriend, and Jack’s personal demon, neighbor Penderecki.

I have a hard time discussing a book such as this, in which I recognize the strengths of the book, however I still did not enjoy it. I will just have to say it was not for me, brutal depictions of torture and mutilation, I don’t really find scary just disgusting. I’m sure that if you don’t mind your thrillers with graphic violence against women, this would be a good read.

kattbiff's review against another edition

3.5/5: Entertained but not impressed

+ Well written prose
+ Gorefest
- Serial killer with mommy issues (cliché)
- Alcoholic cop (cliché)

aprilbapryll's review against another edition

Slow start, but very good storyline.

reethu_ravi's review against another edition

The Birdman is the first novel by British crime-writer Mo Hayder, introducing her protagonist-DI Jack Caffery, someone who is also battling his own demons from the past.

So, this novel started out pretty good, like any other crime thriller- there's an exceptionally good detective, there's a murder/homicide(in this case it's the murder of five girls, who are found naked and degrading, with amateur surgical marks), there's a serial killer on the loose who is pretty sick in the mind, a MO, evidence, speculations etcetera etcetera.

I have a crazy fetish for crime thrillers. And I personally prefer books that hold the identity of the culprit a mystery to both the readers and the characters in the book, until the very end. So when a quarter of the way into this book when the author reveals the identity of the culprit(some random guy), it was the first major set back for me. But I still had high hopes.

I have never read a Mo Hayder book before, so I went in with a completely open mind, and in fact with high expectations. First of all, the author has tried to bring forth the murder and the culprit as really gruesome, kind of the blood curling types. But towards the end, it just gets 'too' much. It's almost as if the author is just straining to make it too nasty that you kinda miss the point.
Next, I felt that the author is just jumping from one thing to the other at times. I really got confused with the characters in the background and various measures taken up to obtain and analyse the evidence.To put it bluntly, it was a bit messy.

Having said that, though the story started out really good, it gets really predictable. There's no particular mystery regarding the killer(sans a few meagre twists in the middle), and there's is no intriguing suspense. I won't recommend this book to those who are crime thriller fanatics, cause I believe there are so many better ones out there, and hence you might end up comparing. I am really sure that if this was one of the very first crime thrillers I had read, I would have loved it. So having said that, if you haven't read too many crime thrillers, you should definitely give it a try.

barnsey's review

DI Jack Caffery investigates the horrific murders of five young women whose bodies are discovered on wasteland near London's Millennium Dome. Driven and focused, Caffery makes full use of forensics at his disposal to lead him to the killer. But just as the net closes in, a shocking discovery turns the case on its head. Caffery must act quickly to prevent yet more bloodshed and death. . .

Fast-paced and gripping, this book races along at 100mph and is an excellent read. Descriptions of drug use, sexual perversion, torture and murder are extremely graphic so a strong stomach is needed. There are plenty of unexpected twists and turns to keep the reader fully engaged but what hits hardest is the dark place you're transported to — the grim world of addiction and the drug-addled.

Mo Hayder's writing is fantastic and the images she conjures up are powerful. Although profoundly disturbing, it's compulsive reading. I highly recommend it.

Book Source: Purchased copy
Read my review on my blog: https://bit.ly/3sxZY4H

quilly14's review against another edition

Five mutilated bodies are found in a construction area. Detective Inspector Jack Caffery, haunted by the decades-old disappearance of his brother, is on the case.

Mo Hayder writes a hell of a mystery. But be warned, her books are extremely violent. I found myself wincing every 20 pages or so.

No, really. I don't think I would ever actually recommend this to someone whose taste I didn't know pretty well, despite how well it's written. It's just too brutal.

oliviarose17's review

’That evening Jack sat at his desk in Ewan's room, gazing at the Windows 98 clouds on the screen’

I’m not actually sure when I started / finished this book, however I do know it was recently this year and I think May was probably the right roundabout time so let’s pretend I finished this book in one day when I didn’t.

Rarely do I read crime / thriller books that actually stick with me. This one did. Mo Hayder writes some of the best crime books I’ve ever read, and that’s a fact I will take to my grave. I was disgusted and confused and excited the entire way through the book. I never guessed who the killer was, not once, even when I should’ve done. Mo Hayder always leaves you shocked and that’s brilliant. This is one of the best books I’ve read in 2021, and I’m sure it’ll stay that way no matter what I read.