The Furies, by Katie Lowe

adelefz's review against another edition

dark reflective medium-paced

tpsebast92's review against another edition

It was kind of boring and uninteresting.

miiickxx's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

mehsi's review against another edition

I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

Welp, I was so looking forward to reading this one. I kept hoping my wish (as I wished for this one) would be granted. And it did! However… it took me 3 days to finally get through this and it wasn’t easy at all. I had to force myself to read a certain amount so I could get through it without it taking to long.

What went wrong? Well, the blurb and the cover looked awesome. Boarding school? Sign me up! Murder? Oh yes! Potential black magic and strange rituals? Ohhhh. What more could I want. Sadly, this story is what I wanted. The boarding school? Well, I wouldn’t call it that as everyone seemed to go home every day. It was more of an elite super school for kids who are smart. Murder? Well there is some murder, but eh.

What else went wrong? The characters mostly. Robin is just a freaking psychopath and should be locked up from the early pages of this book. She is unstable, her mind is unhealthy, she makes it seem like it is all someone’s problem, while she is always the cause of the disturbance or terrible events. She drags people down to hell with her. She only cares about herself it seems. At least what I could read from the book. She makes it seem like she cares all about someone, but then something happens and you see her true colours. She is a manipulative bitch. :{

Violet? Well, she started off pretty decent and I have to say I liked her at the start, smart, responsible, but as soon as she gets involved with the group of girls, and especially Robin, she changes to a weak, unstable, wtf is wrong with you girl. I was so frustrated with her constantly as she kept doing things that no one should ever do. And sure, peer pressure is a thing, but this went much further than that. She went to use drugs, drank all the time, was spineless and constantly cared only for the compliments of the girls (especially Robin) and would do anything and everything for them. Like with the Dean? She could have just ran away or say no or anything, but instead she did all those things. I just wanted to shake her. Later on things escalate further to the point that I was just cringing and wondering what the hell was wrong with her. Eventually I would call her almost as bad as Robin. Maybe less crazy though (just a bit), but still unhealthy.
I guess the whole accident that happened back when she was younger and that costed her not only her father but also her sister, and following that her mom who fell into addiction and neglect, also didn’t help with things. Maybe if she had a good family, parents who care about her, maybe she wouldn’t have fallen for the tricks of Robin, maybe she could have been stronger. All those ifs, and we will never find out.

As for the other two girls. Well, they were around and at times they had their says, we see that things aren’t good for Grace due to her abusive father, but other than that, these two just fell in the shadows/background quite fast. They were part of the group, but the focus of the book was clearly the very unhealthy relationship between Robin and Violet.

Annabel, I do wonder how much she knew. Did she know what her students were up to? I am guessing yes. This given various situations were with one glance she seemed to tell all, and with her speeches, her warnings, and then later on something else. If she truly knew, why didn’t she stop the girls? Why didn’t she cut them off from the early times?

I actually felt sorry for Nicky. She was a gossip, at times seemed to only care about that and spreading it, she also seemed like the most fun character. Quite a few times she talks to Violet, tries to be there for her and invited her to parties and such.

The story borders on boring to wtf am I reading, and I really had to push and push myself to keep reading. The speeches by the teachers, while I did like that they fitted the theme of what was going on at the moment, were also terribly dull.

The whole Dean thing and how that ended…. just o.0

I have to be honest and say that I still have no idea who killed
Spoiler Emily.
Really, with all that happened in this book and how my mind just seemed to tune out at times, now that I think back, I just don’t know. Probably really terrible of me, but sorry this story just sucked the joy out of me.

The ending made everything even worse. The things that happened in there, the girl on the swing, the thing with Grace and Alex, and then there is Violet’s decision. What the actual hell? Why would you do that? After all that happened…

I could probably give a ton of more reasons why this book wasn’t for me, but frankly I want to forget about this book and just go to my next (hopefully) better read. I am sure there is an audience for this book, but it isn’t me.

Also BIG BIG Warning for the rape scene. Yes, there is one, and yes I would count it as that given the character’s reactions and her clearly being against what was happening. Later on it also has consequences for her mental health, she is just not stable. It is not going well. She keeps getting flashbacks. :\

Review first posted at https://twirlingbookprincess.com/

carlyboone's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

chelle523's review against another edition

I wanted to love this book more than I actually did. It's a strange mix of "The Craft" and "Mean Girls" - all about teenage girls, their relationships, rage, violence and the complexity of female relationships. It's quite dark, which I don't mind at all, but somehow felt a bit formulaic to me. I simply wasn't able to get invested in the main character, Violet's, story. Violet's friends are characters you've met in other teen novels - the seductive, ultimately cruel "best friend", and Grace and Alex were somewhat cliche. Not a bad read, but it feels too familiar.

jacquelynjoan's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced

I think this book was well put together and compelling, but I ended up not really liking it because for me there was to much moral ambiguity, too much violence. I think a lot of other people would like it and I kind of did enjoy reading it, but if I'd known how it would go I wouldn't have spent my time on it instead of something more wholesome about friendship and witchcraft which are two of my favorite subjects.

jennibeans's review against another edition

mysterious slow-paced

Not what I expected, slow, boring and very difficult to get through.

herbalmoon's review against another edition

DNFed.

I kept waiting for the description's hints of witchcraft to manifest into actual coven activity, but the book just couldn't hold my interest long enough to get there.

"And I remember blah-de-blah even now, when it still makes me feel blee-de-blee...and (*mysterious voice*) my students don't even know."

WHO THE FREAK CARES IF YOU REMEMBER WHATEVER EVEN NOW?!

Violet said something like that several times in less than fifty pages and I was fed up with it after the first. I don't care if a Frida Kahlo made you feel like a unicorn shooting rainbows out of its ass (and still does even now!), try getting to what we all came here for!

isabell_dtr's review against another edition

dark mysterious slow-paced